Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find either a tool or process for quickly sanding the edges of mdf that I have run thru the router (roman ogee). I use high gloss spray paint to get a glassy metal or plastic look. The edges don't seem to finish out well.

I also need help on good primers or sealers to prep for paint.

·
Woodworking Firefighter
513 Posts
I'm no expert Rh, but im guessing that b/c the edges are not quit as smooth as the top that you would need to sand them down to maybe around 200 grit. maybe even put some filler on the edges before you sand. Ive never tried this but thats what id do. As far as primer goes, I always just use Kilz and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I rarely use mdf, but in the past, when I have and profiled the edges as you speak of, I made a profiled sanding block, (with the opposite profile) used a piece of 220 grit, 'A' weight paper on it, and sanded the edges with that. It made a difference in how smooth they came out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome RH! Talkin' Rock......Thats Close man:gunsmilie: ...I was in LJ last week,In Hiawassee now! No,the edges never do finish out well and you have to be careful with that roman Ogee(rounding it out/off too much) I think mark gave you sound advice with the 220 grit.Give it another quick run through sanding after priming.The primer will act like a filler and smooth the roughness while sanding.Thats what I have done. Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I went and got some Kilz and it works pretty good. I am finding that there are no short cuts. I was trying to accomodate volume production.

I am totally freaked out about the voc's and formaldahyde. I have only been using a cheap dust mask and not all the time. My garage is completely covered in dust.
Robert

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
what is that rock talkin bout anyway?
they make a filler just for mdf, any good supply house / paint store should carry it

·
Registered
85 Posts
M.L.Campbell makes a product caled H.S.clawlock. It's a post catalized primer specialy designed for MDF it comes in black or white. H.S. stands for high solids.

I use it when I have to spray drawer front edges made with MDF.

I have also heard of mixing glue and water and painting over the edges.
Never tried that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts