Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just glued up all the laminations about 24 hours ago with weldwood and all seemed to be great when I heard some creaking and cracking as I removed the clamps in three spots.

There are three spots where it looks like the wood de-laminated a touch because I didn't use enough glue. I've been reading about de-laminating fixes and it seems like using warm weldwood to fill the "cracks" is a pretty good option.

Does this seem fixable?

See pictures below while keeping in mind that all the spots seem to be able to be clamped back together and all the laminations are 0.100" thick maximum for scale:





I also have a bit more gluing when it comes to this guy:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's a heart breaker. Bummer of a first time bow. I guess I'll start over and perhaps use a different glue this time... there goes $175 dollars + many hours down the drain.

Thanks for your guys replies.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess I'm going to try to fix it and see what happens anyways. I'm so far in after about 6 months of planing, drawing, modeling, finite element analysis, material calculations, designing, cutting, shaping, etc. that I can't just give up even though I'm now pretty sure that it will not work after all the experience above told me so. But can you blame me for trying? I'd rather it break (safely of course) then to stop and never really know if I was the one exception to the rule.

I bought a board of Osage about 6'x6"x1.5" (most of which was unusable after I looked closer at the grain/knots/rays in the wood), maple 3'x12"x2", purple heart 2'x1.5"x6", wenge 6"x6"x2" (that one wasnt too bad), and the hickory backing +shipping. Not to mention the blades (thin kerf) for cutting the laminations, the jigsaw blades, bandsaw blade, glue, etc.

I have read alot about glues and the weldwood plastic resin glue (urea-formaldehyde) is supposed to be pretty good. I just think I was too thin on application because of the tiny brush I had. The thickest lamination was the hickory (which I bought pre-cut) measuring in at 1.145" the rest were all around 3/32 (or less) all of which were heat bent to close (but not close enought apparently) shape before glue up.

I appreciate all the replies, this was supposed to be a bow for my wife after she bought me one, I guess it was an expensive lesson in woodworking. Next time I'll cut 1/16 strips and get better wood for cutting laminations. Come on tax return...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
one more thing to consider, think i saw it on woodright show. sawing a board will result in grain coming and going to the board surfaces. you may consider trying to split the wood along the grain, as the result will be considerably stronger.
That's actually why most of the board was useles, I had to cut the board at a 53 degree angle to prevent grain runout. I put quite a bit of time into this baby and had to jump through quite a few hoops along the way.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top