Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read it both ways, has been 10+ years since I've done any decking. The stuff I picked up is very green and wet. I know wood shrinks, but I also know or have herd the stuff they treat it with doesnt allow as much shrinking? Whatcha think? Whatcha reccomend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I my personal opinion you should gap it. If you don't, the boards shrink at different rates and the gaps look horrible. I think the the nails width gap hides the inconsistencies to a certain degree.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have built a few decks over the years - I have always spaced the boards.

Used a couple of these for the spacing

And used With this little tool to take out the warp of any boards I had. Was able to lay the decks with no problems.

I have always screwed the deck in as opposed to nail - keeps the heads from popping up IMHO. The few decks I have done have been out of cypress - so it will be the future owner's grandchildren that will have to worry about getting the screws out for deck if it needs replacement.

LT

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If the boards are really wet I would not leave a gap. When I built my boat dock about 8 years ago I butted the 5/4 boards against each other as they were wet. I ended up with a normal size gap in the boards, about 1/4" .
Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,122 Posts
If the boards are really wet I would not leave a gap. When I built my boat dock about 8 years ago I butted the 5/4 boards against each other as they were wet. I ended up with a normal size gap in the boards, about 1/4" .
Tom
+1. Exactly what I do and this is the same result I got. The 5/4 boards are a little more predictable than the 2 x material.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts