Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I refinished an old butcher block table into a dining table (am newer to woodworking). I sanded, stained, then added General Finishes Arm R Seal Topcoat, because I wanted a Satin finish, rather than high gloss. Since it's old butcher block (wood boards glued together) there are slight 1/16th inch gaps where the wood has pulled apart over the years. I should have filled them with epoxy before finishing, but I didn't. I thought the Arm R Seal would fill them in. So now I'm sitting here with a beautiful finished table but with these gaps (since its a dining table i want it fully sealed). I don' want to fully sand down adn start again. Ideas for me at this stage? Should I keep added Arm R Seal until they fill? Should i fill with resin then hand sand, adding one more coat of Arm R Seal on top. THANK YOU for any help you can provide!

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
photos of your concerns would help with the most accurate responses.
a clear or tinted epoxy fill comes to my mind.
I am thinking, without seeing the table, that after the repairs are made,
additional sanding and finishing will be in order.
good clear photos would help a great deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATED WITH PHOTOS of Issue

Updated Photos of my Issue. Thank you!
Hi, I refinished an old butcher block table into a dining table (am newer to woodworking). I sanded, stained, then added General Finishes Arm R Seal Topcoat, because I wanted a Satin finish, rather than high gloss. Since it's old butcher block (wood boards glued together) there are slight 1/16th inch gaps where the wood has pulled apart over the years. I should have filled them with epoxy before finishing, but I didn't. I thought the Arm R Seal would fill them in. So now I'm sitting here with a beautiful finished table but with these gaps (since its a dining table i want it fully sealed). I don' want to fully sand down adn start again. Ideas for me at this stage? Should I keep added Arm R Seal until they fill? Should i fill with resin then hand sand, adding one more coat of Arm R Seal on top. THANK YOU for any help you can provide!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts