Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just begun woodworking and my first project is a coffee table. Being under a time constraint, I didn't have the ability to start over once I found a slight gap between the two 2x4s that I pocket jointed together (side by side for the top of the table).

What would be the best option to cover or reduce this gap (it's only 1/8" or maybe even less). Wood glue? Just leave it? The gap where the wood isn't flush is bout 6" long.

I would truly appreciate any advice!

Thank you.

·
where's my table saw?
27,753 Posts
first lesson

Wood shrinks as it dries in the household environment causing gaps between the boards. You assembled it when the wood was not fully dry.

Your choices are leave it, fill it or start over with dried or acclimated wood. Construction wood is notorious for shrinking, twisting and warping even though it looks straight when you bought it. It' not a large gap now and it may shrink back or increase more? Time will tell.

·
where's my table saw?
27,753 Posts
filling it always looks like it was filled unless...

If the wood has been stained that's a problem. If the wood will be painted, the fill can be covered with paint. Glue or putty doesn't not match with the stained areas unless you get real lucky. It will always look like a "fix".

How about posting a photo?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts