Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hunter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has asked me to make some ornaments for Christmas presents. I have two problems to overcome. One is that these will have to be cut on the scroll saw and I'm not overconfident in my skills with this machine.

The second is that she wants quite a few of them and time is getting pretty short. If I can cut several at a time, I might be able to get it done though. Does anyone gang cut pieces on the scroll saw? If so, what do you use to keep the pieces together while you cut that allows to to take them apart without breaking?

I would appreciate any ideas.

Hunter

·
7,222 Posts
The more you attempt to cut at one time, the harder it will be to cut.

Scroll saws are not high power machines. The thin blades flex easily. You may not like the outcome.

If you want to hold them together use double sided tape. You may have to try a few brands to find which brands allows the pieces to be pulled apart without damage.

I would start with two layers and see how you like the edges and process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stack 3 or 4 1/4" by what ever the size of ornaments are say 4X4 put your ornament pattern on one and tape them together using packing tape putting the pattern on top drill holes in the parts that cut out and a hole to cut the ornaments out and you are done. just take your time in cutting them out and post pics.when done.

·
Hunter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I'll have to get some heavier blades than I have now, but I'm going to go ahead and try it.

Hunter

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yeah, I've done it for years. Wood or aluminum sheet.
1. Rough cut all the parts.
2. Stack them up, bind them with packing tape and drill a couple of 1/8" holes in easy-cutoff waste.
3. Bolt the stack together and saw away.

Back in my stagecraft days, I had to make 15 all-aluminum masks.
Maybe 7 parts each with dozens of 1/8" pop-rivets. Stack the part, drill 9/64" holes. Presto! All in register! $1,000.00/dozen.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nice video Kenbo. Stacking method is great. You can use nails - most secure technique. Double side tape works (used in the video) but thin stock may break when you try to separate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts