Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a opportunity to buy a used G1550 lathe from my grandfather's estate. I wasn't really planning on getting a lathe just yet, but I do want to keep a lot of his tools in the family, if it makes sense. Anyway, he was using it in his small basement wood shop so, I'm pretty sure he was using it for wood (even though Grizzly calls it a metal lathe). Any thoughts on anything I should check, whether or not it makes sense for a wood shop and an idea of a fair value? Any help is appreciated.

·
7,222 Posts
Do you have any details.

Grizzly site shows this as 8in x 18in. Rather small swing and short bed. Makes sense for a metal lathe.

The speed range specification would be needed to advise how useful for wood.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I emailed Grizzly and they were great about responding quickly and sending me the manual in pdf. I think I found the speed spec:

Spindle Speeds: 130, 300, 400, 600f 1000, 2000 revfmín {BGHZ}

I have no idea what they mean, so maybe you can decipher?

I can say for sure, this thing seems extremely well built and in perfect condition. I was thinking more about the size. If I decide to get this, I really don't see myself turning stair balusters or anything like that. I would like to try bowl turning, though.

·
7,222 Posts
I think I found the speed spec:

Spindle Speeds: 130, 300, 400, 600f 1000, 2000 revfmín {BGHZ}

I have no idea what they mean, so maybe you can decipher?

I was thinking more about the size. If I decide to get this, I really don't see myself turning stair balusters or anything like that. I would like to try bowl turning, though.
Perhaps easiest to compare a small woodworking lathe like this one.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005508/16400/RIKON-Mini-Lathe-Model-70-100.aspx

The Grizzly and the Rikon can turn bowls, but only small bowls.

Small diameter wood like spindles, pens is frequently turned at higher speeds than the Grizzly.

The Grizzly goes from 1,000 to 2,000 rpm, with no intermediate speed available. A big jump in speed when turning wood.

Take a look at the headstock diameter and thread / inch. If you want to turn bowls, a scroll chuck is easiest to use. This requires an adapter for each lathe. Need to check if the chuck companies make an adapter for your lathe.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. It's seeming as though this particular tool may not be right for me.

I appreciate your insight.

·
7,222 Posts
I think you would initially feel it is good for wood turning, but once you get up the learning curve, I think you would soon appreciate the shortcomings of the lathe for wood turning.

I would pass. I hope someone else picks this up for metal work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts