Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=1171

I picked one up yesterday (I live in town)
I've got 3 hours into sorting it right now and I'm barely 1/3 of the way thru it. Granted there is some Junk (Almost like veneer and usually tapered) but I found TONS of stuff good for turning inlay and accent in there.

They also had Burl cutoffs for $5.00 per pound.

(no affiliation just a Satisifed Customer)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where's this???

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=1171

I picked one up yesterday (I live in town)
I've got 3 hours into sorting it right now and I'm barely 1/3 of the way thru it. Granted there is some Junk (Almost like veneer and usually tapered) but I found TONS of stuff good for turning inlay and accent in there.

They also had Burl cutoffs for $5.00 per pound.

(no affiliation just a Satisifed Customer)
Where is this located? I'd definately be interested if I lived near there, but adding 200 bucks for shipping doesn't appeal to me....

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's in Western NYS About 1 hour south of Buffalo Ny, about 1.5 hours east of Erie PA, and 3 hours north of Pittsburgh.

I finally got sorted thru mine (after about 6 hours over 2 days) and have about 8 copy paper boxes full of "useable" stuff 3 of them have the ends cut off and longer pcs stuck in the end.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could always go get one... anf stuff it into the USPS "flat rate" boxes for y'all

We could work out somethin to cover time involved.

Note: the crates are different Sizes.... based on the weight of the stuff inside. (some were sealed but labeled as the contents are 1-2 types of wood)

I might be able to talk them into opening them Up so I could take Pics for anyone interested.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
So what did you do with the stuff you could not use? I was going to shoot you a p.m., but this is for general consumption and the offer stands to anyone interested.
I am working on my own set of handmade planes and could use some exotics for "pieces parts", you know. Stuff from the size of a matchbook to a playing card, maybe a pack of smokes (or bigger if a guy can spare it). If you have been around you know I do not deal in exotics, I am an urban logger...not too many purple heart trees etc. growing in central Illinois:no:.
Also if you have been around awhile you know I have funky domestic wood (if you are new, check my gallery). I am proposing a swap, my burls, curly, quilted, spalted...in usable sizes for a taker. I need some exotic scrap to play with. This can be worked out P.M. or email me.
I this gets no notice here I will post it in the classifieds.
I am looking for ebony (even the domestic persimmon), zebra wood, yellow heart, purple heart...I would even consider trades for domestics that I do not have access to here up north like mesquite. I am open to any HARD wood, shoot me a note.
I have what I said to offer curly walnut, curly maple, maple burl, redbud burl...I am not going to list them all you get the picture.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If anyone is interested... I Can go over there and Get "Cutoffs" for 2.50 / lb (Exotics and Domestics) and 6.00 / lb for Burls The Burls are usually Small stuff... and Random cutoff pcs with Natural Edge.

I Never know what's in there...... but I can look Feel free to PM me.

Darren,

If I deemed it unsueable... it was really thin... almost Veneer type in size....... everything else I Have..... My Fiancee's Dad is getting some of this for Xmas...............

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Well I have to say for scraps they have some nice wood. Matt sent me a box that I received today. I started carefully digging the pieces out...then I just dumped the box. Palm, zebra wood, yellow heart, purple heart, pilon all kinda stuff I have not had a chance to id. I was looking for little pieces, this should keep me busy for awhile :huh:.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts