Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I stood a 49" wide Red Oak upright and freehanded the table tops out of it with a large chainsaw with a 50" bar hanging off of it. I was afraid it would be too much for the little feller but I discovered I can handle the 72" bar almost certainly, and do the same thing with the main part of the tree that this trunk and crotch came off of.

I got 3 good ones out before I relegated the slabs to the sawmill and took a few boards. Here is a picture of the first one taken. I have seen better slabs for sure but this ain't bad and the grain in that crotch is busoier than the picture can prortay.

I'm telling you woodworking guys, you don't know how much fun you are missing if you aren't cutting up a little with some trees and producing your own lumber and slabs! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Kev....Nice job fer free hand....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helga comes through again...;) ;)

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know JP - was thinking something really thick though.

Lee it took about 10 minutes to make each cut, after the chain stated getting dull it was taking closer to 15. I plan to let it dry in service ith ends sealed and apply the finish at some point down the road.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Very impressive for freehand Kevin. I have tried similar without the same success. I reckon a good saw and chain is key, and patience (and practice?). Holding that saw for 10-15 minutes and keeping it from wandering is tougher that most guys will ever know.:thumbsup:
It doesn't look like you have much more than a bit of good old fashion hand planing to do to make them flat, once they dry some.
How deep was the sawdust after a cut, had to be close to knee deep. Been there and loved it:yes:
I can see the feather crotch even in the pictures...when I come over for beans I want to sit on that end of the table.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's just plain good old fashioned fun makin a heap a dust like that isn't it! :smile: No I didn't practice none just went for it. Really that *was* the practice for the big mutha. But yeah lots of dust and chip. Lots.

If you come over for beans you can sit wherever you want. Heck if you come over for beans we will cut you a slab of some big honking crotch to take back. :yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts