Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1980 or so desktop PCs came out and CRT monitors started taking up desktops. I was hired in part to see what could be done with the new PCs. Over time I made several cabinets to hold the PC components and peripherals. One such beast I've just added to my blog HERE. That design became obsolete when flat LCD monitors came out. Taking inventory of all the furniture in my house I realize I have two other pieces design specifically to deal with PCs. Neither is being used for that anymore. Every computer cabinet I designed for use at the university I taught at was eventually abandoned as facilities and fire codes and the PCs themselves were updated.

Curious if anyone else has a computer cabinet of any sort in their past?
4D

· where's my table saw?
32,666 Posts
No such cabinet, mainly because my two Dell PCs are "All in Ones". They have no separate computer box full of hard drives and heat sinks. Don't ask me how they work being only 1 1/4" thick. I like them because the integrated flat screen monitor is about 22" on the diagonal and that helps me see all the fine print and in full color. I love 'em. However, I don't like the "touch screen" feature and still use a keyboard and mouse, old school.
Technology has changed furniture in more ways than you might think.

Reactions: 4DThinker

· The Nut in the Cellar
2,000 Posts
Yes. We have a "computer desk" made by Winners Only that was purchased to support a first generation IBM PC and a dot matrix printer. It still is used as the computer desk today with a late model tower and an 22" LED monitor with an ink jet printer. With the reduction in the size of components, there's room for the internet modem and router inside. Lots more room on the top now which I refinished several years ago. Windows 10 will be unsupported in 2025 and the tower won't support W11 (how's that for no future?), so will its replacement be a new tower or a laptop? Regarless, the old desk will likely remain.

Reactions: 4DThinker

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My university wasn't rich enough to buy true IBMs. The clones we had were from Zenith I think. Essentially all the same components but in an uglier case. I think they came with a very early version of WordPerfect, a very crude version of MicroCAD, and not much else other than MS-Basic. All programs and printers then came with thick user manuals which also needed some place to live.
4D

· Registered
13,782 Posts
I am sitting at a computer desk that I designed and built after the old CRT monitor was replaced by flat screen. The computers have been all in one boxes. Modems and routers have been both integrated and separated. Big printers always take up space.

There is always all kinds of small stuff that needs a home to keep neat.

This is a corner piece with a large built in file drawer. Keyboard is a pullout that can be 3 way adjusted.

Never gotten around to any pictures.

gmc

· Registered
2,131 Posts
I redid an old sewing machine desk, with the lift up center, into a computer desk. Made the front of the lift up center into a hinges drop down door. Put sliders on the sewing machine deck so it slides out through the new door. Used it for years until I got my first laptop. It's still used, just not for computer work.

· Registered
193 Posts
When my wife and I merged households she came with a mass produced computer desk. It was pressed wood with a vinyl woodgrain skin and cheaply constructed. At that time we still had a computer "tower" along with all the other stuff. I made a desk with drawers on both sides but the two lower drawers were fake and were part of a door that opened to the space for the tower. Later, when we both got lap-tops the side space was no longer needed for anything related ti the computer. I disassembled the door, saving the fake drawer faces, added a rail in the opening and made two drawer boxes. I then attached the faces and had a fully functional desk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts