Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know JP, and Burlkraft and I for sure, because we have talked about it, drive by a tree and look at it a little different than most. As wood guys, who else does? Do you see a tree and think "Wonder what that looks like inside?" trying to use your x-ray vision. I am heading over in the morning (?) to look at a couple big burl trees that someone wants me to have. And will post picture of those in this thread. But today I was running errands here in town (pop. 1100... 6 blocks X 10 blocks) and took my camera, there are a few trees even in this small town I look at pretty hard when I go by them. I wish I could have got a better shot of the second one, the lighting is bad, but it is the funkiest.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=319&cat=500

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=318&cat=500

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=317&cat=500

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
We don't wanna see any news stories about a guy loose in town with a chainsaw.....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't wanna see any news stories about a guy loose in town with a chainsaw.....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I think I can get that little one (my favorite) with a handsaw...ninja style in the dead of the night :laughing: Unfortunately I have knocked on the door asking about, if they woke up and it was gone they wouldn't have to go too far looking for it :thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I take it the verdict was no.
Not only did they say no, but they said don't ask again. They were not very friendly folk, I had to take the picture from their neighbors drive :laughing: I guess having a tree in your yard like that for 30 years is like an old 3 legged dog, just kinda hard to part with. I wish I had a picture of it in the summer. All those bumps have little shoots/twig growing out of them. The tree looks like is growing a beard, very unusual tree indeed.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Now Daren...I know your barber left town, and they don't see razors in your area....but really now, had you looked like a model Boy Scout, maybe the answer would have been no also!:laughing:

Actually, I can't imagine ringing the doorbell and asking about a tree....people around here would think you are an escapee of the loony bin.:eek:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
.but really now, had you looked like a model Boy Scout, maybe the answer would have been no also!:laughing:
If it makes you feel any better this is what I looked like when I asked. And that was about a week past due for a haircut:yes: I kept my head nearly shaved for 15+ years. But then I got some melanomas on my head from too many sunburns :eek:, I decided to let it grow out a few inches to protect my skin from the sun... well a few inches turned into feet.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=322&cat=500

I didn't just knock on their door and ask about it, I was just saying that kind of a figure of speak. I was already there with the wife for a garage sale... but I have knocked on plenty of doors asking about other trees. You kinda have to understand this area, nobody is a stranger. When you ring a doorbell here, all you hear is someone shouting "Come on in" without them even looking to see who it is. I have not locked the doors to any house I have ever owned in 20 years, or taken the keys out of any of my vehicles. We have been on 2 week vacations before and not locked the front door. When I sold my first house after living in it for 6 years I had to go out and buy lockset handles for the doors so I would have keys to give the realtor. I never had a set of keys to the place, when I closed on the mortgage when I bought it I was not given a set. The lady who owned the house had not locked the doors for 40 years and didn't have a clue where the keys were.

Ahh, small town living.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I can relate to that Daren. I have no qualms about knocking. Not only that, last summer I knocked on a door and asked "Have you ever given any thought to hiring someone to take out that dead oak (and pointed to it). It was a trunk 9' tall and still solid.
Answer:
"Why yes I DID hire someone and paid them and they didn't finish the job!"
They dropped all the branches and left the 38" x 9' tall trunk. He asked how much I would charge and I said $400. He kind of winced and we got to talking turns out he was the new preacher for the one of our many Baptist churches so I said "Okay how about $200? (Church gonna pay anyway). I got the nice solid trunk (still spalting in the yard) and made $200. Gave each of my sons the two $100 bills for helping.
That's how you knock and ask!;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been real fortunate in my log hunting expiditions. I'm out in the sticks and surrounded by farms. Wonderful people to deal with. I've found some cool treasures on the edge of fields and after milling, I give them a clock or plaque made out of the wood. You would think I gave them a bar of gold..

·
Registered
22 Posts
We dont have any Burl Trees down here in Australia, at least I don't think so but I'll keep alook out for some trees worth taking pics of.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jester.....

I've bought a LOT of Aussi burls......They are some of the best....Ya just gotta look around and then ya see them all over the place....;) ;)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This is kinda why I started this thread. I have more pictures... and questions. All these trees (4 trees from different angles) are in the same yard. Why are they all funky ? They are different species. The big one is Catalpa, and the little one has some redbud looking pods hanging off it. Oh and by the way, these trees are mine if I want them. I just have to cut them down, which I will. Any thoughts on if they have market value worth the effort, or is this going in my stash ?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts