Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my chainsaw I have been cutting up the pile of logs laying in the yard. Some have been there too long and I will lose some of it, others have acquired great stains and spalting. The problem now is I still have a big stack of logs and my kiln is packed. Oh poor me :laughing:.

I started milling pen blanks (I don't turn pens) and generic spindle blanks in whatever size the wood will let me. One wood I am beginning to love is Bradford pear which I have always thought of as a trash tree. I left one log laying on the ground for over 2 years and cut it yesterday only to find it hard as a rock with spalting :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

I am now clearing room in the shop and in the drying shed since the kiln is loaded to get this stuff cut up so I can go get more. Might need to start selling some very soon.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you are cutting up some hollow forum blanks let me know I would be interested on some here :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in great need of some wood. I will buy some gladly.

Jack
If you are cutting up some hollow forum blanks let me know I would be interested on some here :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Jack send me a PM and we can figure out what you need against what I have.

BC, I can rough cut some hollow form blanks if you let me know the sizes you would like. I have a few big pieces of wood left mostly Bradford pear but so far that has been some pretty stuff. I think
I have some mineral stained sweetgum, too.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Ghost, I have a few pears to go take down myself or I would be interested too! That bradford pear is some really nice stuff. I had some spalt but I sawed some veneer from a crotch that is awesome and I sawed most of what I had for tool parts. Stuff is excellent for hand tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ghost, I have a few pears to go take down myself or I would be interested too! That bradford pear is some really nice stuff. I had some spalt but I sawed some veneer from a crotch that is awesome and I sawed most of what I had for tool parts. Stuff is excellent for hand tools.
I really like working the Bradford and that stuff you have is beautiful :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. I have some really pretty walnut and the stained sweet gum is like turning butter. The FBE I have needs to be stabilized so I might sell most of it since I don't have a way to do it right now. The trunk has a big burl on it that I will cut off and see what it looks like.

I have a lot of eastern red cedar to cut up and a black locust to cut down in the side yard. Might cut down a bois de arc (bowdock or hedge apple here) since I need some of that, too.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be interested in Black Locust and Walnut if you ever want to trade for something from down here in Luzian!
Sure thing let me see what I can come up with. The walnut I have to be careful with since you can't ship with bark on. I have some drying now. Let me know what sizes you need I am limited in how big I can mill pieces right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts