Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I am just starting to enter the world of woodworking and have so many questions to ask.

So far I have purchased either new or finds at estate sales, a Bosch 4100 TS, Bosch Router (along with a poor Ryobi Router table I have learned), Makita hand Planer a Porter Cable Orbit Sander and various hand tools I already owned. Also picked up a Dust Deputy for dust control. My shop is very small at about 12X14 but after shelving and extra fridge not a lot of room left. My plan is moving outside on heavy sawing and sanding projects.

I found your site while searching the Web for Woodworking advice and this site came up often. I know there is so much to learn and hope I do not ask to dumb of questions, I will use the search feature before asking as much as possible.

Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

Reactions: Talan

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Welcome to the site. Learn to do searches and don't afraid to read them...LOL

On a side note, I miss Tucson I spent a year there and loved it. Still have some friends and family there.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Hi Talan and welcome.
We have two sons living in Tucson and get down there often. We love "The Old Pueblo".

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome!
Aren't any dumb questions, although some do bring a smile (I just know that :laughing:)
Dave H

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from NH. Like Dave said - no dumb questions so ask what you need to know. We've seen a few nasty folks but they get the boot. Most of us remember when we 1st started working the wood and understand difficult to ask questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do not waste time striving for the perfect product. Imagine the cost of the time wasted whenever you don't settle for the perfectly acceptable good product.
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. -- Voltaire.

and, more importantly,

Measure once, cut twice.
Wait ...
:oops: Measure twice, cut once.

Thomas J.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all! I am just starting to enter the world of woodworking and have so many questions to ask.

So far I have purchased either new or finds at estate sales, a Bosch 4100 TS, Bosch Router (along with a poor Ryobi Router table I have learned), Makita hand Planer a Porter Cable Orbit Sander and various hand tools I already owned. Also picked up a Dust Deputy for dust control. My shop is very small at about 12X14 but after shelving and extra fridge not a lot of room left. My plan is moving outside on heavy sawing and sanding projects.

I found your site while searching the Web for Woodworking advice and this site came up often. I know there is so much to learn and hope I do not ask to dumb of questions, I will use the search feature before asking as much as possible.

I spent 12 years in the Private Payphone Industry and for the last 6 years have become a BBQ enthusiast cooking 10lb Pork shoulders for 10-15 hours for pulled pork. I also found I can produce great results using a faster method with almost the same results.

Thanks for having me.
Hi and welcome. You're further along than I! No question too dumb. Here's mine:

I'm very new to the hobby of woodworking. Can you or someone explain the difference between woodworking plans and woodworking blueprints? Also, are "designs" the same as plans?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi and welcome. You're further along than I! No question too dumb. Here's mine:

I'm very new to the hobby of woodworking. Can you or someone explain the difference between woodworking plans and woodworking blueprints? Also, are "designs" the same as plans?
Thanks, Being we are both new I will throw out an answer, my thought would be they are about the same as Carpentry is to Woodworking.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
From my previous life, I would venture to say plans are the over all instructions on how things need to be assembled (including order, wait time, dry times, cure times, machine times, ...) like part A has to be installed on Monday, Part Z has to be painted after screws have been tightened down.

Blueprints just show relationship of parts to one another, dimensions, and maybe attached notes that say somethings about assembly.

Just my opinion...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts