Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people's, just a quick intro.

I'm a 24 year old apprentice aircraft fitter buy love DIY. Mostly worked with metal, just the odd wood frame etc but nothing substantial. However I've always had a fascination and respect for people that work with wood as even my small projects don't go to plan. So here I am ready to learn and get on with a few projects and hopefully to a good standard. Want to eventually build my own cabinets for the house as money is at a premium as an apprentice with a kid and one on the way spending a lot of my time and money on commuting.

From England.

Thanks.

Mo B

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, will be looking to start a few projects as soon as I get some time off so will be looking to bounce things off you guys.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. Congratulations on the new expected arrival and the toddler... parenting is the most important job any of us will ever have and it's also the most difficult and rewarding job! Pay attention to your kids and wife.

I often give this advise to new woodworkers... Build shop furniture first! If you build shop stations and cabinets, you can practice different joinery and if you make mistakes, you can still have functional builds. I built a small cabinet, sharpening station and router table that I use. The drawers and doors were much less then professional - but I learned a lot. Now I'm good and I have a functional shop. I like seeing my mistakes. It reminds me of the improvements I have made.

A few suggestions -
A workbench ( basic ingredients are flat and secure (extra heavy or secured to a wall.)
storage units ( good practice cabinet making skills.)
Stations - like sharpening station - drilling station - router table - lathe station etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, family does come first. Thanks for the advice. I will be building up my tools and equipment slowly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts