Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all from rainy England. I am somewhat of an amateur but I was hoping some of you more experienced woodworkers could help me out! I have already done several simple projects like wooden boxes, wind chimes an shelving, but is there anything else you would recommend to a newbie woodworker? Many thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

I got started by making a couple of cutting boards myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. What wood is good for cutting boards? How did you seal it so the wood doesn't get stained? Did you use Danish oil?

·
7,222 Posts
Lots of thread about wood types for cutting boards, so a search and you will find a number of them.

Site search is not so good, it decides which keywords to use vs ignore.

Type this string into an internet search engine

Host:Woodworkingtalk.com wood cutting board

You will see a lot of the threads.

You are in the UK, so the woods often mentioned may not be easily available.

In the US woods we often use are tight grained species such as
hard maple, also called sugar maple or rock maple, not soft maple
cherry
walnut
purpleheart
yellowheart
bubinga

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would redwood also be good on a cutting board? It might look nice but it's the efficiency I'm after because I need it to last long but not look scrappy.

·
7,222 Posts
Would redwood also be good on a cutting board? It might look nice but it's the efficiency I'm after because I need it to last long but not look scrappy.
Redwood is far too soft for a cutting board in my opinion, same as other softwoods - pine, spruce, fir. They will not stand up to the knife well.

Redheart may work, but I do not expect to be available in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome!
+1 on the redwood being too soft. Would think with your location you could get maybe -- beech or oak?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts