Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serving Platter.
3-piece glue-up of Yellow Cedar (Chamycyparis nootkatensis), 17" x 13" x 2". The feet are 3/8" proud of the underside. Copper inlay for the eyes. The dish bottom is 1/2" thick. Any thinner and the sloping dish walls would have cut into the back legs.
I sanded all the Frog parts and textured the all the rest of the top and bottom with a #5 sweep. I used crooked knives to texture the awakward places. Two coats of MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish, maybe 2 more to go. Gentle scrubs with coarse steel wool inbetween.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. YC hangs together better than I expected, better than my usual Western Red Cedar.
I think it stinks = very peculiar smell that I don't much like.

Frogs? Yeah, Bullfrog legs are OK, kind of taste like alligator to me.
Q: When did cavemen first eat chicken?
A: Somebody said: "Taste like dog."
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Apple pie forever, gang.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Very cool but you don't explain process. Looks like Dremel tool may have had a hand in some of the production?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
w1pers: Nope, no Dremel. Waste of time. The dish void is the very last part to do.
After the glue-up, the basic shape of the stern was established with a Baby Sitka adze (Kestel Tools).
The cutouts were made with a simple coping saw.
The rest of the basic shapes were cut with a 9/15, then a 5/35 with a 30oz lead core mallet.
Then the drawings were applied and much of the shaping was done with smaller tools like an 8/7, 5F/14, D5/8 and 3F/8.

This is dish #4 for me. I've learned that there's a useful sequence in the carving.
1. All of the froggy parts have to be done almost ready for sanding before dealing with the bottom and top.
2. On the bottom, cut parallel grooves 3/8" deep with a 9/15.
3. On the top, dig out a pattern of 1" holes with a Forstner bit and knock down the webbing with a 2/30. Shape the sloping sides with the mallet & 5/35.
4. Now, on the bottom, bash away all the ribs with a mallet and 5/35. Smooth with a 2/30, texture with a 5F/14 = done.
5. Now on the top, clean up the dish floor and texture with the 5F/14 and crooked knives. I built a depth/thickness instrument which works like a bar clamp with very long fingers and a wide reach.
That floor is 1/2" thick, all the way across.
6. Test your sanity in the sanding of all the froggy parts. I got a "sanding finger" from LV with German-made belts. Fantastic to get into the grooves and along the grain.

That's about it. I checked the camera chip, I thought I had pix of the carve, all the way from the glue-up but nothing there except the end that you see.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No carving needed! Flatten a few cane toads, toss them up on the shed roof for a week in the sun and you are finished!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts