Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my Craftsman 22114 1.5HP hybrid saw was having a tough time ripping 4/4 white oak yesterday with a Freud Diablo 40t thin kerf blade and I am looking to get a decent ripper. I am looking at the Freud D1024X or the Freud LU87R010 what are the major differences and is the LU87 worth the extra 12 bucks? Or should I be looking at the glue line ripper Freud LM74R010 which is more than I want to spend, but will if it is awesome.

Any others I should be looking at in the $25-50 range?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm sure there are quality differences between the 1024 and the LU87 I don't know, but one thing I do know is the LU87 has probably 3 times the carbide in the teeth. More sharpenings, in fact mine is over 15 years old and has been sharpened 3-4 times, and still has most of the original carbide. The Diablo series (I've read) is a lower priced blade produced specifically for the box stores price points. Doesn't mean it's not a useable blade, but there is a reason for the price difference. If you compare the LU 87 to the LU 74, it's a little more complicated. The 74 isn't recommended for material over 1" thick, due to the tooth count and triple chip cutter configuration. The 87, OTOH, is recommended for material up to 2 3/4" thick (these are Freud's numbers, not mine), and has a steeper hook angle and the flat teeth you expect on a ripping blade; cuts much faster....albeit not quite as smooth.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, these are the little facts I was looking for, but not knowledgeable enough to pick them out of the product info. I may go for the LU87 then and pass on the cheaper Diablo.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've got the LU87 in my Bosch 4100, also due to 4/4 white oak, and it makes it feel like you got a new saw that is twice as powerful.

After ripping a bunch of SYP it is a little gummed up and slower... it was a little better after cleaning but I think I need to do a more thorough job on it.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Fred's right about the LM74. Even though it'll leave a very nice edge, it's no more efficient at ripping than the 40T, meaning if the 40T struggles with thicker material, so will the LM74.

The LU87 has a flat top grind (FTG), and leaves truly flat bottoms. The last I knew, the D1024 is an ATB grind. IMO the LU87 is $12 well spent. The Irwin Marples, CMT 202.024.10, and DW Precision Trim DW7124PT are also good choices in that price range. The Infinity 010-124 is excellent too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have both ripping blades the 24 tooth and the 30 tooth I use the 30 most often unless it's 8/4 or above. As for glue line ready or not I'm not sure about that. I always go back to the jointer to get a glue line edge but that's just the way I work.

Reactions: Paul W Gillespie

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered the Freud LU87. The fact that it should last longer than the Diablo and can be sharpened more was the deciding factor. Thanks for the tips. Now I just need to figure out what I will use to clean my blades, so many different cleaning solutions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have you thought of going to 220v on the saw? I've got a 21833 and I have problems at times ripping with a similar thin kerf blade. In the next month or so, I'm going to rewire it for 220v and see if that helps.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Going to 220 won't help with the actual power to the saw, but it will recover quicker after bogging down.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The outfit I use regularly (Bull Sharpening) gets $11.00 to sharpen the blade. Since this is send it in and back, I also have to pay shipping charges. But the local (to me) hacks think a blade should only be sharpened once or twice, and they remove about 1/2 the existing carbide each time.

·
where's my table saw?
27,880 Posts
My local shop charges

What is a typical price you guys see to get one of these blades sharpened?
The shop I use, Cutting Edge in Dryden, Michigan charges :

24 tooth $13.25
40 tooth $13.25
60 tooth $16.20

A new Freud 24 tooth think kerf blade costs.... $36.95
Freud LU87R010 10-Inch 24-Tooth FTG Thin Kerf Ripping Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating - Amazon.com

So you can get a little over 3 sharpenings for the same price as a new blade. Whether the thin kerf blade will stand 3 sharpenings is an other issue? :blink:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The shop I use, Cutting Edge in Dryden, Michigan charges :

24 tooth $13.25
40 tooth $13.25
60 tooth $16.20

A new Freud 24 tooth think kerf blade costs.... $36.95
Freud LU87R010 10-Inch 24-Tooth FTG Thin Kerf Ripping Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating - Amazon.com

So you can get a little over 3 sharpenings for the same price as a new blade. Whether the thin kerf blade will stand 3 sharpenings is an other issue? :blink:
That's pretty close to what I was guessing. I've never had a blade decent enough to warrant sharpening instead of just replacing, so I was unsure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Paul, just a note about your "cleaning" post.
I use Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA (not baking soda) in warm water. Soak about 5 min., brush a bit with a parts washing or any synthetic bristle brush, rinse, dry, go back to work.
Pour the solution down the drain 'cause it is bio friendly and will help keep the drains clean. No stink, no mess, cheap, and it works.
That's what I do.
Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts