Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a 1" flush trim bit tonight and after about 8' of routing the guide bearing... well it was gone and there I was digging into my work piece :eek::censored::furious:.

Is this a common problem with Freud? I google'ed it, and came up with nothing. Was this a fluke? Should I have removed the bearing first and put some lock-tight on it? Never happened to me, just wanted to see if it ever happened to anyone else.

I am taking it back tomorrow to HD, thinking about emailing Freud, but how would they know I am not just asking for a free bit. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Jcahill4

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Thanks for posting.

I'll be checking the bearing nut on each of my bits prior to each use from now on.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I was using a 1" flush trim bit tonight and after about 8' of routing the guide bearing... well it was gone and there I was digging into my work piece :eek::censored::furious:.

Is this a common problem with Freud? I google'ed it, and came up with nothing. Was this a fluke? Should I have removed the bearing first and put some lock-tight on it? Never happened to me, just wanted to see if it ever happened to anyone else.

I am taking it back tomorrow to HD, thinking about emailing Freud, but how would they know I am not just asking for a free bit. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Jcahill4
jharris has the right solution. Freud has some of the better bits IMHO. I check all my bearinged bits on receipt and again if I pick up one I don't remember the last time I checked it, which, given my memory, is most of them.:smile:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
This thread brings up a great point.

jharris2 said:
Thanks for posting. I'll be checking the bearing nut on each of my bits prior to each use from now on.
I think I may incorporate this into part of my setup procedures from now on.

Mark

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I've never had a problem with one...I'd call frued and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'll offer my 2¢, it's not common with Freud (or any of another dozen makes or so, IME), but can happen with any of them. Normally not right from the factory, but more often after I've removed it for some reason and then didn't tighten it back up enough.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Checking the machine screw should be on your list of TTD. Another WTF, is when a bearing destroys itself. If you do quite a bit of trimming, even though the bearing is supposed to be "sealed", I use a drop of machine oil on it, and run it and wipe it clean so it doesn't mar the work. If you trim plastic laminate, it's a constant effort keeping the glue off the bearing.

It's also wise to just move the bearing with your finger with the router off to feel if the movement is rough.There should be no up/down movement, and should spin freely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Returned to HD. No questions asked. I will be double checking each time from now on.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
It happens to almost all router bits. I keep an Allen wrench in the router bit drawer.

BTW - Use a toothpick to apply Loctite BLUE to two or three threads at the point of the holding screw. The screw shouldn't loosen but can be removed to replace the bearing.

Reactions: sweensdv
1 - 10 of 10 Posts