Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can get a replacement speed control module for my Freud FT1702VCE router?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Bosch, when they bought the blades/buts business from Freud, they apparently agreed to provide service and parts for the Freud power tools. Their number is 630-705-7810. I recently ordered some collet nuts from them for my 1700VCE.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I emailed Bosch who told me they didn't handle Freud parts. Emailed them back for a suggestion and they sent me a number to call Freud. Called freud, and they gave me a number for their "parent company" called that number, and was talking to Bosch again... who this time did say they handle Freud parts but need the specific part number... and so it continues...

·
John
3,028 Posts
Well, I emailed Bosch who told me they didn't handle Freud parts. Emailed them back for a suggestion and they sent me a number to call Freud. Called freud, and they gave me a number for their "parent company" called that number, and was talking to Bosch again... who this time did say they handle Freud parts but need the specific part number... and so it continues...
Hi Hal - the part number is 763488119, at least that's what my 1700 operator manual says.:smile:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm not surprised you needed the part number, but I am surprised that you got the run around. Maybe it was because you e-mailed???? I called and got the parts I was asking for (collet nuts) within 5-6 days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm not surprised they needed the part number either. I got the email about the phone number at work, and I decided to try it even though I didn't have the part number right handy. Been busy since then and haven't had a chance to call them back, but I'm sure they'll be helpful once I do. I'm sure the runaround was a result of the email vs. a call. I let the person I spoke to at Bosch know about it just so they were aware. She was appreciative and going to look into it. If my post sounded like I was irked at any of them it wasn;t the case- everyone was helpful, I think they just have a gap in their training or knowledge that they didn't realize. Hopefully me letting them know will help them fix it.

Thanks jschauben- I took my control out and the number on its label matches what you gave me.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Incidentally Hal, those came with a 5 year warranty. If you still have the invoice you can send the router in with a copy of the invoice and they'll take it from there. My 3000 developed a plunge issue and they took care of that and went ahead and made sure the armature axis was dead centered for me as I use bushing on the router table from time to time. If you got it from a major online supplier, like Woodcraft, they will likely have a digital record of the purchase that will work as an invoice. Downside is you gotta pay the shipping to get it to High Point, for me about $30 UPS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I'm the perfect customer when it comes to warranties... no clue when I bought it, or who I bought it from! Not real bright! Maybe I registered it, it's at least worth looking for a serial number and giving it a try. Thanks for the tip John! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered and on the way- not cheap at $114 with shipping, but I really like that router. In hindsight I probably could've bypassed the speed control and set up an external speed control switch cheaper...

When it croaked a couple months ago I went to Lowe's and bought a DeWalt because I needed it right away. It works fine, but it's clumsier in my router table than the Freud. Now the Freud can live in the table and I'll use the DeWalt for handheld stuff.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not cheap may be an understatment :laughing:. No wonder Bosch agreed to provide parts......anyway, glad you got it squared away and will be back in business.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Now the Freud can live in the table and I'll use the DeWalt for handheld stuff.
Hi Hal - does the above table clamping system work OK for you? I have a 1702 mounted in a portable table and the motor clamps fine with the lever but trying to clamp/unclamp from above the table is iffy at best. Not a big issue for me as, in the portable table, the lever is probably easier to find than the tool to go through the top... just curious.:smile:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Hal - does the above table clamping system work OK for you? I have a 1702 mounted in a portable table and the motor clamps fine with the lever but trying to clamp/unclamp from above the table is iffy at best. Not a big issue for me as, in the portable table, the lever is probably easier to find than the tool to go through the top... just curious.:smile:
John, to be honest, I didn't even know you could clamp from above the table! I use the lever below the table- Once I get the part and get it back in the fight I'll have to check that out. I like the spindle lock from above the table, Also the height adjustment is much easier with the Freud vs. the DeWalt.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Hal, yeah, there are two socket head hex bolts (8mm) :smile:eek:n the bottom of the router. One for height adjustment and the other ostensibly to clamp/unclamp the fixed base. Actually I never use either because my foldup portable table leaves the router hanging out about elbow height in front of me (when on the bench) so it is easer just to do both from underneath. I was just curious as I never got the clamping function to really work right from above and since it was a non-issue, I never pursued it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts