Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooops. I think I goofed. I've had this set [99-263] for a while now and I've always hated the fact that the back of the mortise was too thin.
Did I get a set that was intended for 7/8" stock???
I took 'em apart...destroyed the bearing on the cope bit in the process...and I'm starting to think I need to chuck 'em and buy a new set.

Comments???

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have used several variations

of cope and stick tooling on ¾" thick stock with nearly identical results each time. To get an acceptable (to my eye) reveal on the front surface, I had to accept a dangerously thin edge on the back surface. Eventually the fix came to me. I now plane all my rough stock to .8" thick. This allows an acceptable wall thickness on the rear edge of the panel groove. Another thing it does is allow a little more wood between the hinge cup mortise and the ogee I machine on the perimeter to lighten the look of the door. Perhaps this would also work for you.

Ed

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
You cant find a replacement bearing? Keep the bit for other uses and making up layered profiles or at very least mail them to me:eek: I've used them too and think the same but they work. If I'm working with rough stock I leave it a little heavy too, but Ive made doors with 3/4 stock and they held up just use good glue.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a goof. A regular off the shelf skateboard wheel bearing is the replacement for these bits.:blink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts