Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freud offers a number of different (Italian made) blades in several series, both in my area and via internet shopping. They have the Diablo series (at Home Depot in my area) the non-red coated Avanti series (at Lowe's in my area), the "Industrial" series, and some new series (the name of which escapes me for the moment) available from numerous on-line sources.

How do the Diablo and Avanti versions stack up against the Industrial and other, newer versions? Are the Diablo series blades, for instance, just relabeled Industrial models for sale at Home Depot? Are the Avanti blades just some kind of budget line that Freud offers? (They cost as much as the Diablos, however.) Since I can go right down to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a blade easily (after eyeballing it for defects), it would be nice to know if it would be better to shop on line for one of the other series models.

Incidentally, at Home Depot Ridgid also offers blades, and like the Freud versions they are made in Italy. I wonder if they come out of the same factory, with only minor differences.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Question

From what I have read, Diablo and Avanti are pretty much the same and are the consumer version of Freud’s blades. I guess that is why they are about one half the price. I doubt that they are really industrial ‘seconds’. Modern manufacturing for a company the size of Freud should be able to consistently produce the same part over and over again. I really like Freud blades. I have three; rip, combination, and fine.

It is weird about things like blades, same as router bits. Some just really perform for you. I love my Freud blades, but Whiteside router bits seem to outperform Freud bits. Again, there is about a two to one price ratio. Maybe there is something to ‘you get what you pay for’.

That said, I just bought a Rigid 12 inch 60 tooth combo blade from Home Depot this morning for my chop saw because I had to have it today. I cut flooring with it like butter. Could not be happier. I’ll see how it holds up.

Confused yet?
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this doesn't really answer the original question, but here is my2 cents all the same.

Myself, and several others, have completely stopped buying anything with freud on the package. I have read the literature, and it just doesn't match what my experiences are. Every time I send a blade off to be sharpened, there is at least one tooth that needs to be replaced. I have other blades, some without a brand name on them, maybe it just wore off, but none of them ever lose teeth. The freud blades also don't hold their edge as long as others. My blade of choice is Forrest. I will second the Whiteside router bits. They are great. I also use Vortex when I need a custom bit made up and they have all exceeded my expectations.

It is fair to mention though, that I know a lot of people who use freud and are very happy with the results. However, they are not professional woodworkers. Do they use them differently then I do? Have they never tried other brands? Do they not use their blades as much as I do? I don't know. It is all just opinion. I don't like freud, they do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts