Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this project Friday. My company is slow right now and we are only working 4 days a week, kids in school and wife at work, so I had several hours of "me time".
I wanted to get the entire piece done this weekend, but I'm fighting a bit of a cold and sinus infection, so Friday and Saturday weren't as productive as I would have liked.
Also, my computer has self destructed, I can read and post here from my phone, but can't load pictures. Dave Paine has graciously offered to post the pics for me. Thank you Dave! I very much appreciate the assistance.

Ok, on the the details. This is from a John Nelson pattern. It is called the Nashua. The name given to the project as he developed the pattern to recreate an antique clock he bought in Nashua, New Hampshire. The original was made circa 1890.

I am making this one from 1/4 inch red oak. One exception being part of the back piece made from oak plywood, mainly because I don't have access to any oak wider than 7.5 inches. For this same reason, as well as the fact I wasn't really loving the look of the entire roof trim piece, I changed the design of that piece.

Anyhow, the pics as of now are the first piece being cut, the back panel made of the oak plywood. Then two pics of the clock dry fit together, minus the roof trim piece. Lastly, the roof trim piece sitting at the saw, just getting started on it.

Also, I still need to order the clock parts to make it functional. Will update and send Dave more pics as I near completion and when I get it done.

·
7,222 Posts
Taking out the quotes so I can post Josh's pictures in context. I hope I get it right.

I started this project Friday. My company is slow right now and we are only working 4 days a week, kids in school and wife at work, so I had several hours of "me time".
I wanted to get the entire piece done this weekend, but I'm fighting a bit of a cold and sinus infection, so Friday and Saturday weren't as productive as I would have liked.
Also, my computer has self destructed, I can read and post here from my phone, but can't load pictures. Dave Paine has graciously offered to post the pics for me. Thank you Dave! I very much appreciate the assistance.

Ok, on the the details. This is from a John Nelson pattern. It is called the Nashua. The name given to the project as he developed the pattern to recreate an antique clock he bought in Nashua, New Hampshire. The original was made circa 1890.

I am making this one from 1/4 inch red oak. One exception being part of the back piece made from oak plywood, mainly because I don't have access to any oak wider than 7.5 inches. For this same reason, as well as the fact I wasn't really loving the look of the entire roof trim piece, I changed the design of that piece.

Anyhow, the pics as of now are the first piece being cut, the back panel made of the oak plywood. Then two pics of the clock dry fit together, minus the roof trim piece. Lastly, the roof trim piece sitting at the saw, just getting started on it.

Josh_0157_small.jpg

Josh_0158_small.jpg

Josh_0159_small.jpg

Josh_0160_small.jpg

Also, I still need to order the clock parts to make it functional. Will update and send Dave more pics as I near completion and when I get it done.

Dave Paine comment. Nice work Josh. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That is cool. Can you tell us what blades you are using and any other techiques a beginner can use? Like how is the best way to keep the template on. I used a spray on my unicorn. Put spray on the printer paper and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then put it on the wood.

BTW: Hope you are feeling better.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tips.....umm, just drill and cut. And take your time and remember to breath. Lol.
I too use the spray glue to adhere the patterns to the wood.

I don't know that this pattern can be downloaded anywhere. It's in a book of 5 different clocks by John Nelson. Titled, advanced scroll saw clocks. I think I got it on amazon for $12.

Blades: the majority is being done with 2R blades, very small pieces with a 2/0R, but the angled cuts (45*, 35*, & 30*) were done with a 5R. All Olden blades.

Kenbo, thanks. Nothing compared to your fretwork clock, but I'm trying to get there.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long can you go in one sitting before your eyes start going out of wack or you feel like you are rushing?
Honestly, I can usually sit at the saw for hours at a time, right now with my head throbbing, about half our or so.

This head cold thing stinks. I have an intarsia bald eagle that I'm working on, I had originally planned on getting it finished this weekend, but being this stuffed up, wearing a dusk mask would really make breathing tough, and I don't want to run a bunch of walnut across a drum sanders without a mask.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
That's friggin' amazing. I cant imagine having the patience to sit down and do that. Good on ya!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Oh WOW, that's really nice. :thumbsup:
I had no idea what it was going to look like. Thanks for sharing. :yes:

Reactions: Rockerbox1

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the compliments folks. Hoping to have the cutting finished by this weekend. Still looking for the "right" clock dial to put on it, if I can't find something I like in a size that would work, I may end up making the dial myself.

Now question time. In the pics, most of it still has the paper on it, but it is all made from oak. Would it look better left natural, or darken it a little with some stain?
I think darkening it will give it a richer look, but by going too dark, it could hide a lot of the details.
So, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think dark would look fine if you have a nice brass bordered clock.
This is oak with a gel Georgian Cherry stain:
photo (14).jpg

Or, BLO would like super if you want to keep it light.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. I'm hoping that either Friday or Saturday will find me sanding and applying a finish.
I will email photos to Dave (thanks again) of my progress.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts