Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
French Polish?

I am new to wood working and know only enough to get in to trouble. I have applied a french polish to a small box I made. My question is can I apply a lacquer or varnish over the french polish to help keep it from getting damaged (scratches dents)? If so what type and or brand. I know you can use shellac as a base for just about anything. Dose that apply to a french polish finish? Any information would be vary helpful.

·
This Space For Rent
819 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know the answer, those who do may just be busy or overlooked your post. Maybe this will help.

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
I have finished a box in the past with shellac + dragon's blood and two part poly on top, regret to have put the poly, the finish shellac gives you is so much finer looking, as soon as I have some time I'll sand it and shellac over.

But a nice linseed oil based varnish made of natural resins on top of shellac is a great look also.:smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advise. Will the lacquer diminish the finish? Would it be best to just leave it as is?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Haha I just caught a glimpse of the heading and had something totally different in mind. You men are troopers for not taking this thread into the gutter

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts