Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has a farm and he uses wood to heat his home. He has people drop of logs and stumps on his property. Mostly junky stuff. He recently told me that someone dropped off a black walnut log, and they said the guys weren't suppose to drop that off there, and they were going to come back and pick it up later. My friend told them if they don't come back by a certain date, then he would burn it. (Yikes) He then told me that I could have it. It's 13' long, the small end was about 36" and the widest part of the crotch was about 48" It's a big boy. I then was able to have a tow company winch it on their flat bed for a reasonable rate and bring it to my local sawyer. I had this brought to him just before Labor Day weekend. I was heading up to my cabin, so I couldn't be there for the milling process. Wished I could have been there for that. I came back from up north and he called me and said he was done. ( cool!!!!). Because of work being so busy and getting home late I couldn't go pick it up until this Saturday. So without further boring words. Here's what I got. His mill wasn't large enough to slab 48" so he milled what he could at 24" wide. Enjoy!!!! image-2749091074.jpg image-1324337988.jpg image-2729122075.jpg image-757767746.jpg image-2191995663.jpg image-922183786.jpg image-2308608169.jpg image-1949654271.jpg His mill. image-1931577130.jpg Stacked stickered and sealed the ends. Oh and I had him cut at 8/4.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
WOW- that is a big one- NO pictures??? :censored::censored::furious:

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
That's a fabulous score!
Too bad he couldn't get that big crotch. What a table, that would make!

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gene Howe said:
That's a fabulous score!
Too bad he couldn't get that big crotch. What a table, that would make!
He did but not the whole width of it.
Here's some close ups with a splash of DNA

image-4213160823.jpg

image-4059870126.jpg

image-1877037902.jpg

image-287304984.jpg

image-1044377729.jpg

image-1625207962.jpg

My lovely wife helped me stack and sticker all of it. She's a trooper.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Pics were not there when I first looked- NICE score- beautiful wood............:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mike1950 said:
Pics were not there when I first looked- NICE score- beautiful wood............:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks mike. I had a delay in my post. Lol

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wow!!!! Nobody likes my walnuts.
Laughing!!!!!
You are right- crummy stuff........... I will take it off your hands for a slight fee. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Reactions: Dominick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks good!

If you ever make it down to west central IL. way I have a walnut log you can have.

Going to have to be creative getting it though as it was on the edge of an old strip mine lake and fell on my dock. Still have at least 12' x 20" across? log laying in the water in the way of my boat but it's beyond my means to get it out of there.

DSC01691.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only thing better than a stack of walnut lumber is a free walnut log and a buddy with a portable sawmill (or better, your own mill). This walnut log had fence wire hanging out of it, so I got it for free. I used bi-metal blade and cringed every time I heard it hit metal, but it did fine. The result is walnut lumber with metal "inlay". It's just about dry. Going to be hard on planer blades, though!

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
My Google has been down for only TWO DAYS and LOOK at all I've MISSED!!! GREAT find Dom..congrats....I'm gonna call it Black Ash so you'll send it to me and I'll twiddle my thumbs cause it ain't drying fast enough...LOL!!! What a beautiful wide feather....way to go!!!

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Dom.
Send that stuff down my way and I'll designate you as my best-ist friend !
To think I lived within a few miles from you and now all I can get is pictures? Sometimes life is unfair.
Beautiful stuff and you know how much I love walnut.
Ya Glommed Onta some Pudry Stuff. Ya Hey Der,,Eh?

Hey. Shoot me an e-mail. I lost yours in a computer crash.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Laughing!!!!!
Do you have the same cell #. If you do ill have to call you later.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Da Aardvark
Nope
Cell and life has changed up.
I'll PM ya.

Still no PM Dan.
What happened to ya?

·
Registered
71 Posts
South of Galesburg roughly 20 miles. get off exit 54 from I-74 and head south on highway 97. When you get to Rapatee you've went 1.5 miles too far. lol If you are serious though pm me and I'll give you my number to call.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Unless things have changed, you can't send or receive PM's until after 25 posts.
Good luck with the water/log...LOL....Allen you sound like me...it won't take TOO long. Without a crane or GOOD skidder winch, be extremely careful!!! The logs will have a great story to go with them!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts