Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked awhile back about getting rust off a table saw center section. The first picture is why. I had spotted this 50's model Craftsman "100" table saw in a dudes barn and he gave it to me. It was buried and I could only see the top, motor and fence. I figured the motor (1 1/2 horse) and fence "micro adjust" was worth dragging the thing home for. I had other parts and pieces so I am working on building "FrankenSaw" from about 3 old 50's-60's 10" table saws I have, none of them complete. But I think the sum of the best parts is going to make a decent saw. Unfortunately the box from the "100" was just to oxidized and the original owner had done some sloppy brazing on it I would have preferred to use it. No go, but I did have a good box from a 60's model. I did not even try to clean the center section up, I had another one already pretty clean and waxed in storage. The guts from the oldest saw fit just perfect bolted to the center section. I did have to change the cranking rods (raise/lower, tilt) to fit the newer box, the old one was smaller. No biggy I had the parts and they interchanged. It is on a temporary metal stand from the 60's right now I am going to make a small solid wood cabinet for it to set on later. I also infilled the extensions with white oak.I lost a thumbnail a few years ago on an open extension table on a kickback. Thumb got caught in a hole and the board smashed it, ouchy.
It runs very smooth, but I am still putting a link belt on it. I am not trying to do a restoration, not worried about correct colors and all that. Just trying to get the best running saw put together I can with free parts ;). So far so good.

Attachments

·
Senior Member Grandpa
349 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal for FREE!! I have one of the 60's model's that used an 8" blade that I keep for small projects that I don't want to drag the big saw out for. I think my dad bought it around 61 when he was building the house. The fence isn't as nice as yours but everything else works great.
David

·
Registered
711 Posts
Very nice! Especially when it was free. Once you get that link belt on and the saw in its permanent base, you should coin test it during start up just to see how smooth it runs. I bet it will pass the penny test.:yes:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I liked the first pic you posted, But man-o-man I realy like the after pic. You did goooood. I am a little fond of the older tools and alway like to see someone fix one up. I especialy like the wooden inserts in the table. But I may be a little bias, I dont have a large shop tool newer than 50 years old.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot about this thread until another member brought up thinking about buying an old use Craftsman. I have made some modifications. (spent my first money, bought a link belt) I need a new switch. The old safety switch quit, I am using a regular light switch-not as safe. I made a removable side extension, just unbolts and slides off in 2 minutes. It can be hooked up to a roll around dust collector I have, I probably will use dust collection in the winter right now I work with the overhead door open so it is not a big deal.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I love what you did to that saw Daren. Some guys spend $1500 to $3000 on a saw thinking that's what will make them hit that next level of ability in woodworking. :no:

I am all for buying old American and preserving them from the scrap heap.

That link belt makes it ride like a caddy don't it? ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love it!!....If I wanted to build somthing like this what type/models are best for this-what years?

I am a time warp kinda guy, drive a 70 Nova cut my lawn with a 76 wheelhorse, i think older is almost always better-built anyway maybe not bell and whistle wise...

Anyway, any info you can provide would help in searching for parts...I have to have a saw like this.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.If I wanted to build somthing like this what type/models are best for this-what years?
I could not really rattle off model numbers. Just look for something heavy, good motor, good fence. Your old Craftman the parts are interchangeable (mostly) for several years. So if you find one with parts you like, snag it. Then look for other parts and pieces to make it what you want. Here is a good resource for dating old machines. http://www.owwm.com/home.aspx They even have owners manuals you can look at for part numbers and stuff, great site if a guy is thinking about bringing some of this older equipment back to life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts