Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a good sharp forester bit set. Bought wood river ones at wood craft and there garbage.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can anybody recommend a good sharp forester bit set. Bought wood river ones at wood craft and there garbage.
Thanks for the help.
I bought a 31-piece set from Grizzly a while back. I wanted it, because the quantity allows for small increments (one-sixteenth inch) between bit sizes. While this seems like overkill, I have found that the multitude of size options has come in quite handy.

Grizzly offers this set in both standard steel and HSS versions (starting with 1/4 inch and working up to 2-1/8 inch), with the latter set costing over twice as much. I got the cheaper version ($64 bucks), because I use the bits only occasionally.

Other Grizzly sets offer fewer bits at lower prices. They even have a carbide set, but that would be for somebody who does a lot of forstner work.

Howard Ferstler

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
I have the 31pc Grizzly set, that Howard Ferstler mentions,which is fine up to 2-1/8", I do clock work as well, and I had to add a 2-5/16" and 2-38" bits from MLCS to my collection to fit my needs... For what I am doing, I don't regret not getting HSS...

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have a Wood River set from Woodcraft. Slow and easy with frequent backing out is the trick to using any Forstner drill bit set.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I bought a set of titanium coated Forstner bits from Canadian Tire a number of years ago, on sale. They have worked very well. As rrich points out, you have to go slow and gentle with these bits, and back them out frequently to let the debris clear.

Gerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts