Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
casual engineer
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a fair amount of projects involving hand pounded metal and wood. I'm trying to talk to my local makerspace into letting me build them a forge. I've been making some headway with some really compact and cool designs incorporating both coal and gas sections of the forge but I'm thinking this will have to be built for them as an exterior element to their facility.

Any suggestions how I can appropriately protect/house equipment/gas/blacksmith without having to build an addition to the facility? I've considered converting a CONEX box into a short locker for gas storage and awning made out of the roof and side materials. There's got to be a clever way to do this.

·
Former Member
1,512 Posts
I have done a fair amount of projects involving hand pounded metal and wood. I'm trying to talk to my local makerspace into letting me build them a forge. I've been making some headway with some really compact and cool designs incorporating both coal and gas sections of the forge but I'm thinking this will have to be built for them as an exterior element to their facility.

Any suggestions how I can appropriately protect/house equipment/gas/blacksmith without having to build an addition to the facility? I've considered converting a CONEX box into a short locker for gas storage and awning made out of the roof and side materials. There's got to be a clever way to do this.
Hi Exoterric,

Been there with both my old school and a nature center. Both programs wanted a basic Blacksmith program...The insurance companies are what shoot it down almost every time for being inside a building...Unless...it is heavely fortified and engineer for metal work and open heat/flame sources. Not an inexpensive ordeal...

We are going to be building a Smithy in the next few years (hopefully) to augment the timber framing we design and build. We want to do more "in house" work in this arena. As such, the advice we have gotten...It needs to be in a separate building...

In your case, perhaps a simple open forge under a lean-to next to the primary facility would work out?

Good Luck,

j

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
It's funny how many blacksmith groups work in a wood building with MULTIPLE forges and no issues BUT that also requires staying on your toes about extinguishing fires. There's been MANY, MANY over the years in log buildings. NOW that said AND I've desired to have one and a welding shop I'D STILL seperate them AND probably put in a block/rock/stone walled building/shed for safety....one mistake and it's ALL gone....my 2 cents would be keep seperate. They make some neat portable forges that assemble in 5 minutes or less AND cool quickly for storage. The one I've used before had a electric adjustable blower and removable smokestack. The propane forges are nice also for portability and clean burning.

Reactions: 35015

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Have you looked at the little propane-fired forges that farriers use?
The local guy can pull his forge off the mount, out of his shop and onto the back of his truck in just a few minutes.
It will take a shoe to yellow hot in 90 seconds.
He did some copper forging for me, 1.5" x 1/4" x 8" bar, that seemed to take him just a few minutes.
I know it would be pretty neat to build a forge that looked and operated a little more in the traditional line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts