Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
S'posed to be "Nawthen" dang autocomplete!
We're inbetwixt cold fronts here & s'posed to be nasty outside for next several days. I've been trying out my new ripping chain and thought y'all might like some pics of what happened to innocent logs. First set of pics is Pecan---don't like to leave it outside for too long. Thought it'd be kind of blah---nope! Nice patterns and some spalting. Next group is mesquite, nice grains and patterns, the 2 white pieces are Hackberry -- and it spalted on its own Just thought you might like to see stuff other than #%&@! snow...... (Sorry for the shading in the pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Some beautiful feathering in those chunks in the second pic (at the back, mesquite I guess?) I'm sure they will all make some gorgeous bowls :yes:

We're getting ready for about a foot of snow here in the Boston area - might end up staying at home tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you like your ripping chain ? Can it crosscut ok too?
I like it a lot so far and yes it'll cross cut. Was a bit hesitant at first, since it's recommended for mills and not handheld cuts--evidently a high kickback risk- but I didn't have any. Had gotten it off ebay, but now that my local hardware store owner saw it--I have some more on the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts