Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: this is by no means "fine" woodworking, and isn't meant to be. I was going for the charming, rustic, crappy look.

Now that we got that out of the way, here are some pictures of an outhouse bird feeder, inspired by an outhouse bird house that I've seen before. It's made from an 8' 1x6 that I picked up from Lowes on my way home from work, which oddly enough, measures 5/8" rough cut. Go figure.

The base is 12" x 7", and each house is 3 3/8" square and 6" tall plus the peaks. Everything is made with deck screws and butt joints, then plugged over. The leather "hinges" are from some old sandals I had laying around and cut up. The copper nails you might see are weather stripping nails. The moon was carved with a razor blade and filled in with a coffee ground epoxy mixture. If anyone wants me to post all of the dimensions so you don't need to reinvent the wheel making it, let me know. :smile: After all was said and done, I'd say it cost less than $10 total, and about 4 or 5 hours from first cut to having the finish done. Score!

Sorry about the pictures, they're from my iphone with the flash on. :censored:

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dominick said:
I'm sure your wife. If your married is very happy to see you doing that on the dining table lol. Great project.
There's a piece of mdf on it! What the old lady doesn't know about won't hurt her. As long as you don't get glue anywhere it shouldn't be you're alright.

And finally a way to hang it. Almost forgot this part. Just some twine wrapped around itself and some hooks through the side

Attachments

·
REDACTED
196 Posts
Hey, leave the fella alone. I'm staining a bookcase in the kitchen at the moment, and the wife couldn't care less. It's next on the list to renovate after we get the bedrooms floored and painted, so if I make a mess it's okay. :laughing:

(the floor is blech-ish linoleum, so any stain spills wipe right up)

Great feeder Upstate!

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Is it real linoleum..........or is it vinyl?

Upstate,very uhhh.....crappy,haha.Seriously like the idea that you were trying for a certain look and then,nailed it.And further for keeping track of budget and time investment.They look very cool!BW

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
just curious, are your saws on the buffet or the serving table? just kidding...I paint and stain, sometimes even scrape small parts sitting at the dinner table.....but never and I mean NEVER with her table clothe under it.....that is suicidal
they look great...they would sell like hotcakes around here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.