Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am refinishing an old foot locker that looks like it may really have been through a war. It has a tremendous number of marks on it but I think that will give it tons of character when it is done.

I am looking for any feedback that people might have on these pieces.

Also I cannot identify the wood. Initially I thought it was simple pine but after sanding the different colorations in the wood suggest that this is something pretty different. The distinct colorations in the end grain are amazing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow, very nice chest! Sorry, can't help ya on the finishing. I'm very much a newb in that regard.
And I can't tell positively, but it could be Ash, it tends to have those wavy growth rings. Maybe somebody else will chime in with some other suggestions.

Acer

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
The wood is southern yellow pine. I bet it weighs a ton. Yellow pine runs a lot heavier than the whitewood pine you see in the box stores today. I would avoid using a oil based stain if you can. The stripes in it will be that much more pronounced because there is a great deal of difference in density between the hard parts of the grain and the softer wood between. Use a water based stain or a dye to get a more uniform color. The old finish looks like it might have been shellac.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, very nice chest! Sorry, can't help ya on the finishing. I'm very much a newb in that regard.
And I can't tell positively, but it could be Ash, it tends to have those wavy growth rings. Maybe somebody else will chime in with some other suggestions.

Acer
Thanks Acer. I think this is going to be a beauty when it has been refinished. It will have tons of character with all the marks that will remain.

Gary

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wood is southern yellow pine. I bet it weighs a ton. Yellow pine runs a lot heavier than the whitewood pine you see in the box stores today. I would avoid using a oil based stain if you can. The stripes in it will be that much more pronounced because there is a great deal of difference in density between the hard parts of the grain and the softer wood between. Use a water based stain or a dye to get a more uniform color. The old finish looks like it might have been shellac.

Steve that is excellent feedback for me. I will stay away from an oil based stain which would have been my default approach. Great heads up.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts