Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having done many glue repairs to this foot locker I would appreciate some advice on how to identify where the glue was not fully sanded away. Is there anything I can do to excess glue to make it accept wood stain?

Thank you.

Gary

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wipe the joints with a rag wetted with mineral spirits. As long as you are testing areas with adjacent bare wood, residual glue should show up.

No, any areas of residual adhesive will show up as a defect. All traces of adhesive, paint, finish or even dings will be apparent after staining.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
When you are working with wood glues if you would wipe the excess off with a wet rag all you would have to do is sand it where the water raised the grain. It would be free of glue stains. A spot that has been wiped wet will stain darker than the rest of it so the extra sanding is necessary.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wipe the joints with a rag wetted with mineral spirits. As long as you are testing areas with adjacent bare wood, residual glue should show up.

No, any areas of residual adhesive will show up as a defect. All traces of adhesive, paint, finish or even dings will be apparent after staining.
Thanks Howie. I will use your advice and be careful and hope that I catch it all.

Gary

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you are working with wood glues if you would wipe the excess off with a wet rag all you would have to do is sand it where the water raised the grain. It would be free of glue stains. A spot that has been wiped wet will stain darker than the rest of it so the extra sanding is necessary.
Steve in fact I do what you are suggesting when I glue. With this foot locker there were severe cracks that made it difficult to wipe the glue and now I am stuck with glue in some crevices.

Gary

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Steve in fact I do what you are suggesting when I glue. With this foot locker there were severe cracks that made it difficult to wipe the glue and now I am stuck with glue in some crevices.

Gary
If you have glue in a crevice I would mask it off and either paint it or spray it with a toner. There is nothing that will actually stain it. All you can do is color over it to match the wood. You could also mask it off and mix some tinting color with some poly and brush some color onto the glue line or if you know in advance it's going to show a line you can mix a small amount of tinting color to the wood glue to color the glue.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have glue in a crevice I would mask it off and either paint it or spray it with a toner. There is nothing that will actually stain it. All you can do is color over it to match the wood. You could also mask it off and mix some tinting color with some poly and brush some color onto the glue line or if you know in advance it's going to show a line you can mix a small amount of tinting color to the wood glue to color the glue.
Steve I suspect I will have to go to this level of detail to mask some of the glue lines. Thanks.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts