Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some follow on questions to the original ones that I asked about the foot locker shown in the picture below. When I sanded the very underside bottom of the foot locker it appears to me to have been heavily oiled. And the tongue and groove components also appear to have been heavily oiled.

Could this have been done to make the foot locker waterproof?

More importantly how do I deal with this from the point of view of staining it and top coating it? Do I seal it first with Zinsser Sealcoat diluted 50% with denatured alcohol?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
There is no telling why there is oil on the bottom. If it is a motor oil I would probably wash it repeatedly with Purple Power before doing anything else. If the oil is deeply embedded into the wood you may not be able to finish over it. It might be best to use some kind of oil finish on the bottom. At least you wouldn't have to worry about it maybe pealing on you.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no telling why there is oil on the bottom. If it is a motor oil I would probably wash it repeatedly with Purple Power before doing anything else. If the oil is deeply embedded into the wood you may not be able to finish over it. It might be best to use some kind of oil finish on the bottom. At least you wouldn't have to worry about it maybe pealing on you.
Thanks Steve. Not sure what kind of a cleaner Purple Power is but it looks like I have yet another challenge on my hands.

Gary

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wipe well with naptha, let it rest for a day or two. Might wanna wipe it down again, seal with de-waxed shellac.
Just my observation without seeing the actual chest.
Looks like pine to me, and that wood can have some goofy characteristics.
Bill

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wipe well with naptha, let it rest for a day or two. Might wanna wipe it down again, seal with de-waxed shellac.
Just my observation without seeing the actual chest.
Looks like pine to me, and that wood can have some goofy characteristics.
Bill
Thanks Bill. I will try this since I have some naptha and Sealcoat in the workshop. It is yellow pine based on earlier feedback from Steve.

Gary

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Thanks Steve. Not sure what kind of a cleaner Purple Power is but it looks like I have yet another challenge on my hands.

Gary
I get purple power at Tractor Supply Stores. It's a water based engine degreaser. For as mild as it is it cleans really well.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get purple power at Tractor Supply Stores. It's a water based engine degreaser. For as mild as it is it cleans really well.
Thanks Steve. Fortunately we have a local TSC so this will be easy for me to check out.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts