Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
re: your electrical panel. not all electrical panels will accept tandem circuit breakers. the panel model number needs to be researched for that capability.

imho that belsaw is such a nice unit, and worthy of 220vac. i've been looking for a nice one for years... that one has value!
you may be able to find a drop in replacement (frame number as Bill mentioned), if not, i would leave it alone until you can accomodate it electrically and appreciate it. its a workhorse.

·
CharleyL
335 Posts
I helped you on another motor problem, and will help you again here.

First question. Where is the panel located with respect to where you will be using the planer? Distance between?
2nd question. What is the brand and model number of the circuit breaker panel?
A comment - Just because there isn't enough room in the panel for more breakers, there are other ways to be able to hook up your planer, legally.

With the answers to the questions above, and a clear photo of the name plate on the planer's motor, I can very likely tell you, step by step, what needs to be done to use your planer.

I am an Electrical Engineer and Industrial Licensed Electrician.

Charley

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I helped you on another motor problem, and will help you again here.

First question. Where is the panel located with respect to where you will be using the planer? Distance between?
2nd question. What is the brand and model number of the circuit breaker panel?
A comment - Just because there isn't enough room in the panel for more breakers, there are other ways to be able to hook up your planer, legally.

With the answers to the questions above, and a clear photo of the name plate on the planer's motor, I can very likely tell you, step by step, what needs to be done to use your planer.

I am an Electrical Engineer and Industrial Licensed Electrician.

Charley
Thanks for helping again Charley, all I can tell you right now is minimal--the panel is in the back end of my mobile home, perpendicular to the outside wall facing the shed, and about 10 feet from the shed where I would have the planer--it could be another ten feet if I put it on the left wall.

This is all the info I could find on the panel: electric panel label.jpg

I can't get to the planer right now, it's about 20 miles from here, but I'll try to get there by this weekend It's is a Foley-Belsaw 984 Planer molder--looks just like this one, but a bit rustier. Photo Index - Foley-Belsaw Co. - 984 12" planer/molder with rip saw attachment | VintageMachinery.org

further down on that page is a pic of the motor: Baldor 5HP 3450RPM single phase 230v 23A motor

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had a Belsaw 910 for about 45 years and I would not trade it. I bought it new without a motor. It is a great machine. In my shop it is on a 25' extension cord. The machine is quite loud when planing wood. When the blades become dull it is much louder. Since you have it at another location I would suggest that you try running some boards through it before bringing it home. I have also lived in a mobile home park and many people don't like noise. There are still a lot of parts including the rubber rollers available from Belsaw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good morning. I own a Foley 910 with a 3HP rated to 14A motor.
This morning I went and put an amp probe on it to see what it actually draws.
220 V 100 foot extension cord made from #12 so cord. Running with no load draws 7A
flat planer blades 1 and ½ crank down (more than I would normal take) draws 11A

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
I have had a Belsaw 910 for about 45 years and I would not trade it. I bought it new without a motor. It is a great machine. In my shop it is on a 25' extension cord. The machine is quite loud when planing wood. When the blades become dull it is much louder. Since you have it at another location I would suggest that you try running some boards through it before bringing it home. I have also lived in a mobile home park and many people don't like noise. There are still a lot of parts including the rubber rollers available from Belsaw.
Mine was also bought "new" without a motor, but it was a freaky way I got it. Based on an ad in the local paper, there was a "barrel stave" planer, a two cutter head machine with one head above and one below the table for sale down in the inner city of Detroit. So I called and got directions, but then there were additional directions as to how to get in behind the chain link fence. It was a "bad neighborhood" according to the seller, so I loaded my all black Suburban, brought my Browning .22 and my large black German Shepard and ventured down I-75 to the destination. Sure enough lots of run down houses, this was back in the late '70's or early '80's, so, no surprise. The barrel stave planer was in a one story wood framed warehouse and it was dark inside, but when I saw it it was a monster and way too heavy for my needs. BUT, over in the corner, in the dark, was the Foley Belsaw, no motor. "How much?" I asked. He said $300.00. I said "I'll take it." After getting it and myself out of the "hood", I got it safely home. I put a 3 HP Baldor motor on the triple sheave cutterhead pulley, only needing two belts, and it ran like a freight train making almost as much noise. The rollers are chain driven as is the height adjustment off the table, but it sure does a great job to this very day. I added a large rubber flap to contain the chips on the rear of the dust shield to improve the dust collection, but that was all I've ever done. It runs on a 3 wire rubber SJ conductor about 20 ft to a 20 AMP twist lock recepticle on a 20 AMP 240 volt breaker. I will disturb the neighbors if you use it outside of an enclosed shop or shed. The straight blades are noisier than the spiral or Helix head cutters and when they get dull, they "slap" the surface of the wood making a sharper noise than when they are sharp. In contrast, I have a Ryobi lunch box planer whose cutterhead spins at 3X the Foley Belsaws's and that makes a lot of noise also. So, there may not be a solution to the noise issue .... I donno?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good morning. I own a Foley 910 with a 3HP rated to 14A motor.
This morning I went and put an amp probe on it to see what it actually draws.
220 V 100 foot extension cord made from #12 so cord. Running with no load draws 7A
flat planer blades 1 and ½ crank down (more than I would normal take) draws 11A
I have also owned a 910 from the 80's until a few years ago when I moved and sold it. It was a great machine, however, I used to plane a lot of old oak and other hardwoods and at some point I switched from a 2hp motor to a 5hp. That helped a lot but you could never run a 5hp on 110V. As noted, it was as noisy as could be and I would be wary of using it in close proximity to other homes. I think in the end it may make more sense to get one of those lunchbox type planes although I would be interested in knowing whether they perform as well as the old Foley?

·
Registered
9 Posts
a spiral head may quiet it up...
A spiral head will do more than just quiet it up. It would be a fantastic improvement for an old Foley, especially if you plane "used" wood that sometimes leaves nicks in flat blades. Does any manufacturer sell an aftermarket spiral head for a Foley?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No comparison of a Foley and a lunch box The lunch box I consider to be a hobby planer (and yes I own one) compared to the Foley. Cant put molding blades in a lunch box. You want to make some noise set up the Foley with single blade and counter balances OMG Spend the money and buy the triple blade set if u are going to run molding. Never looked into spiral head because you cant do molding with those.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have had a Belsaw 910 for about 45 years and I would not trade it. I bought it new without a motor. It is a great machine. In my shop, it is on a 25' extension cord. The machine is quite loud when planing wood. When the blades become dull it is much louder. Since you have it at another location I would suggest that you try running some boards through it before bringing it home. I have also lived in a mobile home park and many people don't like noise. There are still a lot of parts including the rubber rollers available from Belsaw.
Hi JZWOOD, There is a clause on our lease about using your shed for a workshop, but it refers to business, so I'm not too worried. I'll be using a bit more hand tools for the bits of things I'll be making, and my immediate neighbors don't mind the noise as long as I only do it during the day--which is fine with me. My next-door neighbor is a DJ and plays a LOT of dance music, which can be annoying, but I used to live over two T-stations in Somerville, MA, and I can get used to almost anything now. lol

As for trying it out for noise before bringing it home, I'm not sure if it runs yet. My brother was supposed to be having two of his guys restore it, but it's just sitting in his garage--so all this may be moot, and I'll end up buying a newer cheaper benchtop model anyway.:cautious:

·
CharleyL
335 Posts
OK, it's a Bryant Panel, but your photo doesn't give me any hint about the size and ratings of it, how many circuit breakers and their sizes (electrical size) and if there is a main circuit breaker in it or outside where your mobil home is connected to the meter, etc. I'm trying to find out all of this and need to before I can help you. A few more photos showing these items would be helpful. Also, do you have an electric clothes dryer and/or electric stove in your mobile home?

Charley

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK, it's a Bryant Panel, but your photo doesn't give me any hint about the size and ratings of it, how many circuit breakers and their sizes (electrical size) and if there is a main circuit breaker in it or outside where your mobile home is connected to the meter, etc. I'm trying to find out all of this and need to before I can help you. A few more photos showing these items would be helpful. Also, do you have an electric clothes dryer and/or electric stove in your mobile home?

Charley
There was nothing in the way of other labels or information. It's said to be 60amp if I remember correctly, it's 60 of whatever they use to name them. The trailer was built in 1970.

The paper chart has the "20" or "15" of each breaker. The main is right in the upper right, there is a meter, but it has a lock on it, and it's in the back yard of my neighbor's neighbor's trailer with three others--#1-4.

I do have a dryer, but the plug for it is behind it, and not easy to get to and it's another 8 feet away from the shed.. The water heater is 220 as well, but I think it's hardwired, I'll see if I can spot an outlet for it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but there is just no other info I can find.

I think I'm actually not going to try to fit it in here. I'd rather have the floor space for my other tools, and I can buy a bench planer if I really need one and maybe make a flip box to double the toolspace. I do have a number of hand planes, and even an electric one--though I'm not sure it still works. :unsure: I have a huge list of things to look at and fix up or replace. I did just pick up a 4" joInter at the flea market last week--it will work with the motor I have, so at least my edges can be flat!:giggle:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts