Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I'm new to the forum, so I'll see how this goes...

I live in a townhome and my workspace is very limited. I've searched the internet endlessly for workbench ideas, however, they all seem too bulky and will take up too much space. I found a few videos of people displaying their fold-down workbenches on YouTube and figured that was the best way to go until I get a bigger house.

So, here are my questions:

1) what type of dimensions should I aim for.
2) what type of hinges (door, gate, piano) do I use?
3) what are the absolute must have features that I should try to include in my final design?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Cheers!

Adam

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Rather than a fold down work bench, I would suggest saw horses and a piece of plywood. If you want something more solid you could double the plywood. That way you could set up a bench where ever you wanted and stack the horses up when you are done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice!

I was concerned about the stability of the sawhorses as opposed to the workbench, but somehow I never even considered portability. Any suggestions on sawhorses? Lowe's and HD seem to have a limited selection.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
here is a little higher end version of a piece of ply on sawhorses, but it is essentially that. you can make your any size that makes sense for you.

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

I was concerned about the stability of the sawhorses as opposed to the workbench, but somehow I never even considered portability. Any suggestions on sawhorses? Lowe's and HD seem to have a limited selection.
Well I've never bought a saw horse so I couldn't recommend one in a store. I build my own. These even though they are only made out of 1x4's and plywood are very stable. I've set 30 14' 2x12's on two of them recently and there was no problem.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts