Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bowl I roughed out last October. When I checked it last week with my new moisture meter, it was dry enough to finish. Nice piece of ambrosia maple. It turned nice without too much trouble. Used one of my two carving chisels and carved the flutes. It's 13 1/4" x 3" . Few coats of lacquer, buffed and waxed.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3Fingers:
I used the width of the chisel for the initial layout. When you come around to where you started the layout, you can adjust the width slightly to end up with a full space. I have done the math in the past, (circumference=pi x diameter, then divide by aprox. width of flute. Adjust with slightly so there is no remainder.), this time I just used the chisel width. Here's a few pics showing the layout lines. The chisel is very sharp, cut myself twice just clearing chips of the end of it.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice job, Mike. That ambrosia reminds me of the flaming box elder just a different color.

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for sharing the additional pix (of how you clamped the chuck while you carved the rim). Beautiful work.
Just in case you have not seen this, Veritas has a nice adapter for a carving vise.

The adapter.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=58760&cat=1,330,69091&ap=1

The vise.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31172&cat=1,41659,41667&ap=1

I have these, and like them. The vise has a rubber O ring which is too easy to break - I already had to replace. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Wowoweeeee , Mike.....
Great rim on that one.

Question....what do you use to sign the bottom of your work?
Thanks for posting
Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Wowoweeeee , Mike.....
Great rim on that one.

Question....what do you use to sign the bottom of your work?
Thanks for posting
Tom
Tom,
I just use my old (1970's vintage) Sears Craftsman woodburner. It came with a handful of tips. I use the pointed one. It was $9.95 back then and made in the USA. Nothing fancy, but it works good.

Dave,
I may have to check out one of those vises. Looks pretty nice.

Hut,
the layout was actually pretty simple. Took about 5 minutes. I drew the two circles first. Then using the inside smaller circle, I made a small mark with a pencil using the chisel end as a width gauge. Then to extend the lines out, I used my plastic center finder. Just use light lines in case you have to erase.

Mike;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts