Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A friend has a piece of their floor that was missing when they bought it. What’s the best way to fix this issue? See picture.

Brown Wood Rectangle Road surface Flooring

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
That’s a piece of the tongue broken out. The board is vertical grain, IOW the grain is running perpendicular to the face.

It looks like fir. The way to fix it is chisel it square and glue in a piece. Pry up the rest of the cracked section enough to work some gluenin. You match as close as possible that all you can do. Tape in place and put some weights on top.

Or, fill it with as close a color as you can, but it’s going to shrink and crack and maybe come loose depending on the traffic and how sturdy the subfloor is (flexing). There are other attempts to fill as you can see.

·
Registered
28,572 Posts
If it were me I would completely cut out the portion of the flooring that is damaged including what is cracked and put in a new piece of wood. The piece of wood you remove you could take to a real paint store such as Sherwin Williams and they can usually match the stain. It's something that has to be done by trial and error so you could need to take some wood scraps for them to tinker on.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I Agree with Steve. The current board can be removed by cutting it lengthwise and prying it out. Then, the underside of the groove can be cut off and the piece fitted in and face nailed. It will look better than any other repair and may be easier to do. Fir flooring should be readily available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts