Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sister has requested floating shelves for christmas. Simple enough so I aquired some decent pine from a not to old chest and I am cleaning that up now. I will then get some precut crown molding or trim to make the sides. Figure the project will go really fast. She requested that the finish be a deep chocolate brown so I am thinking espresso. Does anyone have success changing pine into such a dark brown? I only have experience with paints and stains so any in depth advise would be greatly appreciated. Also, since there maybe 2 different types of wood what are your thoughts on just going with a dark brown paint then topping it with a poly? Sounds like it could work.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Take yourself out of the equation and send your sister to a paint store and she'll get exactly what she wants.
If she goes with solid color paint it comes in flat, satin, semi-gloss, gloss, no need to clear coat.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I built a set of shelves for someone last Christmas that wanted them in "expresso" (is IKEA doing this to us?). Anyway, it was a set of what he called "ladder shelves" and I used maple for the legs and maple ply for the shelves. Painted all this with an oil based paint from SW that he bought. No need for anything on top of it, though I did prime it with an oil based primer. I'll say this: the paint didn't cover as well as I thought it would, took about 5 coats (thinned and sprayed).

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
I have some experience with spraying this enamel

http://www.majicpaints.com/products/farm/tti/

It's from Tractor Supply Corp. and I use it on my tractors, and other outdoor equipment. It can be used with a hardening agent. If you find a color you can live with, it's great. I would seal the wood first, and then paint using a spray gun. IF you don't have a spray gun then I would use a fine knap or foam roller after cutting in thew corners.

You can't expect 2 different woods to take stain the same way, it won't match. I think you are stuck with painting them. You can fill voids and defects that way and they won't show. :yes:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
There's a big difference between paint and a stain. They will look very different on the wood.

Buy or get enough wood that you can use some for testing your finishing schedule. Apply your planned finishes on some pieces and see how you and the customer likes them.

Keep in mind that pine is a wood that colors unevenly when being stained. At the very least, you may need to use some pre-stain conditioner.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a pic of what they want. I am pretty sure that mdf will work and its cheaper, and I am certain this is a paint. Any suggestions on what will give that super smooth outcome without a sprayer? Or is there a cheap option for a sprayer out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aqnd from what I can see most mdf molding comes already sealed and the insides of the miters won't need painting. Seems pretty simple right? I just get concerned cause when ever I think its simple it ends up being a pain in the rear.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Going out on a limb here.......Why don't they just buy the shelves?

There's quite a few reasons to build cool wood things for house/home.But when it comes to replicating,"store-bought"....price-point/engineered items,well the playing field ain't exactly level.Meaning,you'll play heck trying to beat someone at their own game,n'est pas?

So,define "why" you are building these....and then maybe,the "how" will come into focus.The how here,isn't how to build....it's how is this item is stand alone,or different from a manufactured piece.

Good luck,some of the darker "stain" colours(may be dye)look pretty neat.I generally like'm on Oak.Like a 2-300 year old piece that's never been cleaned,and it has this heavy buildup of grunge.....but everyone that looks at it is somehow drawn in like a moth to a candle.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Machinery you will need to make these..........
A table saw to cut the top and french cleat to mount
a router for the profile on edge
A miter box for the crown molding on the bottom which can be bought
A system to spray the finish , for these a plug-in electric spray-gun would work
If you have access to this stuff and like the idea of saying "I made those", go for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my mother in lawn wants them now also. I have all the tools mentioned except the spray gun. The reason why I am doing this myself is because I can make them for about $25 a set verses the $65 a set they charge to buy them right from the professionals. Trying to trim my christmas expenses essentially. My sister and I don't get a long very well so if there is an oops its not such a big deal lol but now that my mother in law is involved its a bit of a different story, I would never hear the end of it lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts