Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have the box with solid backing done and the drawer is gluing up right now.

I like making these. I use a rosewood or ebony dowel for a pull and I pretty much always cut the drawer bottom to resemble a raised panel.

I'll take pics when the drawer is done.

It's going to hang via Z clips and I've cut two ports in the back to allow air to escape when the drawer is closed. A vacuum can develop if I don't.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
absolutely. they're my go to for these units. they'll easily hold 50 lbs too. i also cut ports in the rear to help let air out - prevent vacuum.

they're like mini cleats.

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Those are interesting little clips. How much of a recess for the back? Do you mount them at the top and bottom of the back? And, you say there's no movement to the box (drawer moving) once installed?

In looking at the width of those clips, the spread of the holes looks like you could only install one screw in the center of a stud?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are interesting little clips. How much of a recess for the back? Do you mount them at the top and bottom of the back? And, you say there's no movement to the box (drawer moving) once installed?

In looking at the width of those clips, the spread of the holes looks like you could only install one screw in the center of a stud?

Here are the full specs - better than I can describe. Towards the bottom is an image with their measurements.

http://www.eagle-aluminum.com/Eagle-Z-Clip_ep_42.html

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link. Seems like you can only center one screw. How do they install for you with respect to the screws/studs?

I wind up using anchors normally in drywall. People sometimes hit studs and sometimes not, depending on where they want the unit to hang. No complaints or issues to speak of.

I know it's not ideal to just go into drywall alone but there haven't been and issues.

·
Registered
28,388 Posts
This thread is a couple years old and gideon hasn't been here since July so you may not get any answers.

andrew.wicker, the cabinets could be made out of either solid wood or plywood however solid wood would be more stable. Personally for the drawers I would have used full extension drawer slides to get better access to the contents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm trying to sort out what type of furniture I can make with 90% plywood and metal.

Looking at mid century modern.

I have access to a proper woodshop, but it costs money. Hoping to reduce cost in the meantime before I can afford shop space and the equipment

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,388 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm trying to sort out what type of furniture I can make with 90% plywood and metal.

Looking at mid century modern.

I have access to a proper woodshop, but it costs money. Hoping to reduce cost in the meantime before I can afford shop space and the equipment

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
You can sometimes improvise shop space. When I lived in an apartment I did a lot of work on a balcony. Later on I ended up getting a two bedroom apartment so I could make a small shop in one bedroom. I covered the carpeted floor with plastic and laid some thin plywood on top. Of course I didn't have things like table saws in there but you can do a lot with hand tools. I also one time rented a mini-warehouse and set up a small shop where I could run some machinery off the wiring from the lights. Even when I bought my first house it only had a one car garage so didn't give me a lot of room. I ended up setting up the equipment in the garage and put things like work benches outdoors to work from. I ran my business for the first couple years like that building entire kitchens and finishing them in my back yard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.