Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of making a flip top stand for my bench top drill press and belt/ disk sander.

I was wondering about what hardware to use to pivot the top on and how to lock it in place.

If you've made one, would you mind posting a few pics of it?
Thanks

·
John
3,028 Posts
I've been thinking of making a flip top stand for my bench top drill press and belt/ disk sander.

I was wondering about what hardware to use to pivot the top on and how to lock it in place.

If you've made one, would you mind posting a few pics of it?
Thanks
Hi Joe, I posted these awhile back but here they are. I used 1/2" black iron pipe all the way through the top. The top is two pieces of 3/4" ply with a dado down the center of each so when put together with the dado's facing each other, the pipe runs down the center. The edges of the plywood are rabbeted to fit a slot down the center of the edge of 2x4 stock which was used for edging. Saved trying to drill a long hole through the top.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys! I got some thinking and planning to do now.

Do they make some sort of trunion to pivot on? If I can't find cheap ones, I'll use your ideas of running the pipe threw the table top.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd just use the pipe. That's the easiest and likely cheapest way to go about doing it. I made one for my drill press/planer (since replaced the planer) last year.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
BigJoe16 said:
Thanks for the replys! I got some thinking and planning to do now.

Do they make some sort of trunion to pivot on? If I can't find cheap ones, I'll use your ideas of running the pipe threw the table top.
I used 1/2" steel rod with lubricated sleeves. Seems to be working well. IIRC, it was Kenbo's idea and I copied it.

Mark

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Make the flip part in a triangle box shape, and you can put THREE tools on it, instead of just two. Sears actually used to sell one like that. It was sharp!
This guys has been trying to sell this one for about 4-5 months. http://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/4010461928.html

I though about going to check it out, but the $$ seemed high. He started at $300 I think.

I like the idea of putting 2 things on it & then leaving the 3rd one empty.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Here is mine. I had on hand some 5/8 inch aluminum rod so that is what I used for the pivot...about 5 inches on each side.

It works great and is solid. Easy to rotate also. Not shown in these pics is a lower shelf I added later to catch the pieces from the oscillating sander when I turn it upside down.

Good luck. You will love it once it is built.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
This guys has been trying to sell this one for about 4-5 months. http://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/4010461928.html

I though about going to check it out, but the $$ seemed high. He started at $300 I think.

I like the idea of putting 2 things on it & then leaving the 3rd one empty.

They come up on Kansas City Craigslist for ~$100 from time to time.

I'd still probably make one if I had the need though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts