Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did I do? I found these today and got them for $49. The 78 is intact and I believe it to date to between 1910 and 1925. Its Japanning is at least 90%.
The 60 1/2 is also in great shape with the only issue(?) being the orange paint. Since I plan to use them it doesn't matter to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You did really well! The 78 alone (complete, in good shape like yours) would easily go for $50-75 or more on ebay. I've seen quite a few of the 60 1/2 in good shape go between $40-50.

Two great planes to add to your arsenal.

·
Overconfidant Rookie
61 Posts
That 78 is gorgeous. If you don't mind, can I ask how you're dating it? I've got a 78 with the same parts, same pattern cast on the handle and same "B" casting marks as yours.
About the only info I can find comes from Patrick's Blood and Gore and the Type Study he references. Says the foundry Stanley used from 1899 to 1902 used a "B" mark. That study states that it only applies to the Bailey bench planes, but it seems to me like they'd have all their casting done at the same place in a given time period.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw somewhere that the pattern on the handle had fish scales prior to 1910 and then changes to a vine pattern. This one has a vine. After 1925 they had a depth adjusting lever for the rear cutter position but not the front. This one does not have a depth adjustment. That is the best I could find.

·
Overconfidant Rookie
61 Posts
Interesting. Part of the reason I like old hand tools: always something cool to learn about the old school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts