Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve seen several turtorials on flattening planes but my 22" long #7 is being difficult. I have my eye on a 18" long granite surface plate and im wondering if that will be long enough to flatten my plane.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I`ve seen several turtorials on flattening planes but my 22" long #7 is being difficult. I have my eye on a 18" long granite surface plate and im wondering if that will be long enough to flatten my plane.
A large piece of heavy plate glass would also work for a surface table.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently i have no heavy glass and the granite plate is on sale for $60... $25 cheaper thab normal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched for the same thing and couldn`t find anything locally. Would the 18" work considering the plane is longer?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Currently i have no heavy glass and the granite plate is on sale for $60... $25 cheaper thab normal.
Call up local countertop stores and ask if you can dig through the dumpster. You'll get as much granite as you can handle. Some of the pieces will be quote large, if they didn't break.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually dont have a machined straight edge. I have a 12" pinacle combination square ive use so far. Ive been looking at a 24" straight edge but its about the same price at the granite block.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a piece of granite and a piece of plate glass I use for a surface. The piece of plate glass is a lot easier to handle. A professional glass works that builds commercial windows and doors cut mine for just a few dollars. It probably weighs about two pounds. A sink cutout weighs about 50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts