Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The work on my bench has continued. I've glued up the top. The front and back is approximately 3" thick with the middle portion 2" thick. Now I'm down to flattening it. What is the best way to get this sucker flat? I've started to flatten the front/back on the bottom, and have each (front and back) roughly flat with respect to itself. But, they are necessarily flat with respect to the other. I started on the bottom because it needed the most work, and it needs to be flat to attach the base. I think I need to flatten the top first so that I have a reference surface for the bottom. Or am I missing something? Can I flatten the bottom without having the top flat? I don't know how I would reference the two separated surfaces.

I can't wait to get this thing finished. The top is HEAVY, almost too much for me to handle by myself. :laughing:

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts
router with guide rails

If the bottom is flat enough for you, then attach guide rails, 1 X 3" or 4"s to the sides. They should be parallel to the bottom and will be if you can lay it all on the bench. You can then take a long piece of plywood wide enough to support your router base and drill a hole for the bit in the center. As you run down the length of the top you slide the router and plywood over a small amount to the right and left to make all the cuts overlapping. You may need a stiffener on each side of the ply to keep it from sagging.

Search "router sled" here or Google. http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox&va=router+sled+jig

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have it figured out. I'm going to try to stick with the hand plane, good old #5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts