Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I used my finish nailer to nail the face frame to the carcass the nail slipped and is protruding from the inside of the bookcase.

I can't pull the nail out because its set about 1/4 of an inch deep. Is there any way to fix this or should I just leave it? I could take nose head plyers and try to peel the protruding nail out and then cut it but its a soft maple and I feel like I'm going to do some damage to the wood.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've had this happen and what I do is bend the nail out a little more and then cut it off as close to the wood as possible with a pair of fencing pliers. Then pound it below the surface of the wood and use filler to cover the hole.

Probably not the best way to fix it but it's what my skill set allows for!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cabinetman : How much of the nail is protruding on the inside of the cabinet?

About 1 inch, I used 2 inch headless nails, the nail curved and is showing about 1 inch on the inside of the bookcase.

I was thinking about using a nail set and knocking it into the wood and then fill the damage but the wood is so soft I feel like its going to do a lot of damage.

However, I dont want to cut my finger when reaching for a book :huh:

Guess I should've used just glue....

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Cabinetman : How much of the nail is protruding on the inside of the cabinet?

About 1 inch, I used 2 inch headless nails, the nail curved and is showing about 1 inch on the inside of the bookcase.

I was thinking about using a nail set and knocking it into the wood and then fill the damage but the wood is so soft I feel like its going to do a lot of damage.

However, I dont want to cut my finger when reaching for a book :huh:

Guess I should've used just glue....
If you're careful, use a large slip joint pliers...like a channel lock. Grip the nail close to the wood, and place a back up behind the pliers jaw for it to rock over on (so the wood doesn't get dented). You could use the flat of a chisel, or a thin piece of hardwood. Squeeze the nail and rock the pliers over and pull it out from the inside. Sometimes they break...sometimes it just slides right out.

Or, if you empty your brad gun, and can slip the nose of the gun onto the nail sticking out, push the gun towards the wood in the angle it was shot in. Pull the trigger and the gun should shoot the nail backward from whence it came. Then just pull it out from the head end. If ya got it all lined up it works pretty good.

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
That's one reason I hate nailing through face frames. Just glue would work also but I generally put a rabbet on the carcass and a dado on the back of face frame. It helps with both alignment and more glue area.

As for the problem at hand. Use a pair of dikes to cut the protruding hail as close as possible then use a nail set to sink it below the surface.

·
Registered
26,663 Posts
If you have an inch of nail you can get a hold of, I would grip it with a pair of diagonal cutters and work it back and forth until the nail breaks off. It normally will break off a thirty second under the surface so the hole on the inside can be filled with putty.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yes, grab it close to the wood and bend back and forth or twist it, it should break off close to, maybe below the surface, then you can set any remaining and fill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts