Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up a Stanley #7 for $30, had a repair. Must be the original bolt snapped off and they drilled it out. I bought a 1/4 20 rod to see if it was that size and it turns out its a hair bigger, so my guess is it would need to be tapped to 3/8”.

What would you do? Should i just tap it to a 3/8 rod? weld the hole and retap to the original size? Grab a 1/4 20 bolt and grind the head down to fit the recess? Btw they used a bolt and ground the head down and drilled a recess to accept it in the base.

I purchased some 7/16 brass rod to make a new nut.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see about just welding the hole close and going with a 1/4 20 bolt. I didn't realized when i bought it the whole was straight through from the bottom it just looked like a weld almost. Eh for $30 i can't complain i guess.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you decide on the bolt diameter, I would look at the nut you will be using to ensure it is not too big for the top of the tote. The Stanley tote is only about 3/4 - 7/8in wide.

How about a #12 or #14 screw. Needs to be about 4 1/4in long.
I bought some 7/16" brass rod, will tap it to the 1/4" threaded rod i bought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.