Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I was trying to clean my new old table saw motor. I got sloppy and two pieces fell off. Basically motor fell off my work bench when I was getting a screw driver. I am not sure how to put them back. Not sure if they are soldiered etc.

Wood Beige Door Gas Circle

Helmet Wood Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment

Font Plant Tree Paper Document

·
where's my table saw?
31,954 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hope you're not in a rush. I have 2 of those motors. I can open one and see, take pics.... but likely not today. I have several other things going on right now.

As to that orange colored composite(?) plate, in your second pic.... be very careful not to break it. I worked on an old Rockwell drill press motor and broke that plate. There is no replacement plates as that any more. I repaired my broken plate, hopefully permanently, using epoxy and a thin strip of walnut.... so for, so good.

Sonny
Gas Cable Wood Wire Electrical wiring

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No rush.. picture will be great so I know how to put it together. Also if soldering is need. That would be great to know...

Thank you in advance.

Just Murphys law..though I was going to be ripping boards soon.. hahaha.. and when this happened..I just left the garage...

·
Registered
660 Posts
That brass/copper bar seems attached to the silver/zinc colored small piece (pencil tip pointer). I tried to lift it gently off the silver/zinc piece, but it doesn't move and I didn't want to pry too hard and break it/something. I don't think it's a magnet type attachment. I'll go look more closely to see if it is soldered.... I kinna suspect it is soldered, there. The other cupped end is free.

Are these pics sufficient?
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Auto part Gas

Amber Yellow Wood Gas Metal

Finger Hood Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Hand tool Automotive tire Pliers Tool Gas

Blue Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
660 Posts
It doesn't appear to be soldered. Seems it's spot tack welded. I don't know about welding to know if there is a specific type of spot weld this is called. Someone else, here, might know what kind of "weld" that is. I suppose the reattachment can be soldered for the fix.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Helmet Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Light Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Paint

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
444 Posts
@Hojin101

I would use one small brass micro screw and nut like used in hobby trains.

note you have two different kinds of metal involve there. the screw will help hold in place while you solder the bigger parts together. just make sure that is very tight so it can't rattle out.

since your soldering the whole thing together also do the brass screw so I can never come apart

make sure the nut is on the outside. see below. sample

Hand tool Ruler Tool Office ruler Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
444 Posts
@Hojin101

you need to drill a tiny hole through the bar and the electrical contact the the bar was attached to see last picture in post # 9
this where was spot welded originally. as ( @SonnyAgain ) pointed out.

also it looks like you have cleaned the sleeve bearing area out. there should have been cotton fiber material in there under the round silver inside cover.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Rim

this what wicks the 20 weight oil to the sleeve bearing.

you can use long piece of cotton from a medicine bottle. about 4" rolled up and tucked in. do not let touch the shaft or hang out.. do both ends. once you have added oil to it. while it is apart. the cotton, Should be tan-colored not overly soaked through. mop-up any oil that may have leaked over the edge so it doesn't get slung all the over the inside of the motor. that will act like a dust magnet.

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
444 Posts
did you to make sure the bar moved up down and the spring centered did not touch the contact stud.
otherwise it would have continue to power the start capacitor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have it opened. the circular disk (brass?) rests on top of the spring and against the top metal piece (that silver piece that looks like a "Z" ). Is this ok? It does move up and down.

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
444 Posts
please note this a switch. when, up makes no contact. when down it closes to complete the circuit..
when closed it powers the starting capacitor then to the start windings of the motor. this last just a second or two but not longer. if longer the start cap or the winding will fail.

The switch pocket must be centered over the stud, it must not make any contact to the stud.
that is why I use the micro screw to help line it up. and test the movement out. (see picture below) you see the switch is closed. (also in first picture in post # 9)

The centrifugal mechanism determines the speed at which the stationary electrical switch actuates.
(the one that broke off)
The centrifugal mechanism is composed of a conical spring disk (black) mounted to a bracket which is press-fit or pinned onto the motor shaft. Weights (silver on the lefts side of picture) are attached to the spring disk and centrifugal force causes the spring to snap the disk back and open the switch.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle brake Bicycle part

when I have time. :) I will finish the motor clean up. and show more pictures if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the information. I did not know what this was. Your post is very informative. Also, any additional pics are more than welcome. Yours looks different than mine. Mine looks like SonnyAgain's and not sure if it matters. Yours has a silver and black washer or disk on top of the spring and looks pressed down away from the top "bar". SonnyAgain's looks "released" up and pressed against that top bar which is like mine. I think this is the correct resting position for mine?

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
444 Posts
hello again
that is correct the switch is pressed. the picture is with motor shaft out side of the windings and in place where it would be normal. the pictures ( @SonnyAgain ) that showed is the motor apart. pulled away from the switch.. if you close the motor up it will push on the switch.
the same way the picture shows above.
good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts