Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The princess has been requesting a throne for over a year now, and I finally got brave enough to attempt it. I didn't get any build progress pictures ( sorry, but I got into a zone each day.). A quick breakdown of what I did is;

1 - design, measure and get her approval
2 - cedar shorts from the home store, each is a little under 3/4 inch thick
3 - joint boards for panels and laminated two boards to get proper thickness legs ( I was going to attempt to do the jointing with hand planes, but I chickened out, went to the electric machine instead)
4 - after cutting all the main pieces to slightly over-size, clamped it all together to make sure the dimensions worked.
5 - decided to make the diamond cuts on the top of the chair back, and laminated cutoffs on the ends of the armrests to thicken the ends.
6 - cut dadoes in each leg to accept the panels, and cut dadoes to accept the back of the armrests( for a little extra support for the fragile cedar.
7 - a nervous glue and screw frenzy to get it all assembled and square, cured overnight, and scraped and sanded, ready for finish.

I am going to give it 3 - 4 coats of spar varnish, and left the surface of the wood with some hand tooling marks, more to fit the overall ancient theme of the chair. This is the first proper chair I have done, and it was fun, and led to a fair bit of head scratching and double checking fitment and location of each board.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice work!

I like all the details that went into it (like the diamonds and the arches at the bottom of the panels, etc).

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Ditto what they all said. :thumbsup:

try to rotate the picture next time. I hate having to turn the computer.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Cute kid and great project-her smile is worth a bunch...........

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed that the pics were side on, but I'm not computer savvy enough to fix them. Thank you all for the comments, a little encouragement helps, as its still s hobby in its infancy. Like Kenbo I live up north, but I don't have heat for my shop, this summer I plan on practicing with hand tools a lot so I can move my hobby indoors next winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts