Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm relatively new to wood turning but I'm able to achieve good results. I have a shop fox w1704 mini lathe that I use just for making fishing lures. My question may be a little difficult to ask, but here goes. When I mount a piece of wood on the spur center and live center it is difficult to turn the wood all the way to the ends. The way I've been doing this is I end up with a small block at each end, which I have to cut off. I'm assuming I might be able to achieve better results if I could turn the piece completely down both ends. Is there something I could replace my centers with ? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There's really not much you can do about that. You will almost alway have that extra bit of wood there for the centers. If you turn the lure so the tip and bottom are on the centers, you'll not only have the holes there from the points but you'll be alot more likely to split and crack the wood from the pressure.

How big of lures are you making? I first started turning so I could make lures. I quickly started turning bigger things!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lures are approx 3" to 4" . I seen a video on YouTube of someone turning lures right down to the end, that's why I was wondering what options i had. Thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I made lures anywhere from 3"to 6or 7" musky lures. One thing I tried but eventually gave up on was using an 1/8" long bit and drilling threw centered holes. The only problem I had was te hole never stayed centered

·
Registered
557 Posts
I make lures down to 2" just the way you are doing, between centers. Not a thing wrong with it just clean the ends up with a bit of sandpaper. I turn up to 10" musky lures with through wire construction. For those i drill the hole first then put between centers this centers the hole in the lure.

If fact a good friend that tests baits for me just took a good bass this morning testing my mouse/chipmunk topwater bait.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Do you have a chuck? If so, use it. That will allow you to only have one part rather than 2.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts