Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some left over scrap from a bowl blank I made, and decided to turn it into something nice. One, to see if I could, and two as a possible house warming present for a friend.
I've never made a vase before, and haven't watched any videos or anything on doing it, but I think it turned out nicely for my first attempt!
I'm not sure about terminology yet, but I believe the knot looking stuff on it is called burl? Either way, I really like it. I have a few bowls with the same stuff on them

I just stuck fake flowers in it for now as I don't like dealing with the hassle of real ones, but I did waterproof it in case I ever want to put real ones in it. I just coated the inside of it with some clear gasket sealant silicone that you pick up at the 99 cent store, and it worked great!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is nice. I looks about ten inches tall. It is always nice to make gifts, instead of buying them, when you can.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Nice vase!
A suggestion for if it is destined for holding water-- go to Walmart, hobby lobby or the like and get a glass cylinder vase or the like and just set that inside-- then no worries and none the wiser.
Dave H

Reactions: dartman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
yeah I really like it. All the imperfections give it a kind of old worn look that I think looks really nice.

It's actually pretty small, only about 6 inches tall. But it makes a great decoration on my desk without taking up a whole lot of room

1 - 5 of 5 Posts