Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

So, I got a lathe (Rikon 70-050vs) for last Christmas. Well, my now 18 month old twins have finally let me at it!

I just roughed down some maple into a "cylinder". I then started making a shape. Not anything in particular, just something to help me learn the spindle gouge.

I got "done" with it and wanted to part it off to work on another shape. So, I took my 1/8" diamond parting tool to it. I started rubbing the bevel and raised my back hand until it dug in. However, I smelled burning wood quick. I took the tool out and it had burnt gunk on it and the "walls" of my part were black.

Below is a picture.

What am I doing wrong? I see youtube videos of guys parting off hunks of wood like it's nothing!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If the tool was freshly sharpened it won't burn as bad but you do need to take 2 cuts. You should be able to cut down about 1/2" before it burns. How fast are you turning. You could slow the speed down which will help some. Also on a diamond parting tool the sharpened point needs to be exactly on the widest part of the blade. If it's not it will burn.

·
7,222 Posts
You may not appreciate that the side of the tool is not cutting, it is merely rubbing, and the more it rubs, the more friction, and eventually this means burning.

Robert mentioned two passes, to widen the parting channel, so no rubbing.

I love my diamond parting tool, but if the edge of the tool rubs, it can eventually cause the friction and burning.

You can either make more passes to widen the channel, as Robert suggested, or make a shallow pass, and finish with a hand saw, which is my preference.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You make it look so easy.I know sharp tools are a must and I just got a grinder and made a sharpening station.I have
been using my easy wood tools but want to get back to using traditional tools. Now I need to gget off the computer
and go practice.......lol

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have a Smithy. Bought it used and the guy didn't know how to tune it up to cut accurately. I'm still learning. I thought I had the carriage working perfectly and was going to start working on the bearings in the headstock when the carriage started acting up. Obviously something slipped. I've had a lot of fun working with the machine and made quite a few things but it's difficult to maintain much under .003" with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I watched the videos and learned I'm not using a diamond parting too. When held vertically the walls don't bulge. That could be part of my issue. I'm still working on it. Hopefully I get better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts