Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Well, 10 months after getting my Rikon 70-050vs, my now 18 month old twins have finally let me use it.

I practiced my cuts on some blanks. Shattered a knot into my face shield. Then I settled on my first project. Below is a stopper I made for my wife. The wood is a mystery... it came out of a grab bag of blanks I bought at Woodcraft.

There's tool marks on the top, and it's not as graceful as I'd like, but all in... I'm happy.

Oh, and I used BLO and CA glue for a finish. First time using BLO and wow, that really helped the wood. A lot.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Nice ... welcome to the vortex :laughing:

I made a bottle stopper almost identical to yours -- it was my second, the first was round and I found myself wishing it had a better grip. I like this design.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support guys.

Should have included this question in my first post.

Should I CA glue the rubber gaskets into the recesses on the metal part of the stopper?

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Looks good for a first :)
Hope your wife is not planning on using that on any acidic liquids, the chrome finish flakes off. I like to work with stainless that way there are no issues with the finish..

Glad your twins gave you a chance to turn something. Ill be in the same boat with my twins coming at the end of January 2014.. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice first one

I am new to turning myself, but I think you did a great job. The finish is much better than my first offering.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good for a first :)
Hope your wife is not planning on using that on any acidic liquids, the chrome finish flakes off. I like to work with stainless that way there are no issues with the finish..

Glad your twins gave you a chance to turn something. Ill be in the same boat with my twins coming at the end of January 2014.. :)
I wish you the best. Twins are amazing.

The finish is "black titanium" I believe, from woodcraft. Is this still a version of chrome? Will it flake? I have a lot to learn here.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
MidKnight said:
I wish you the best. Twins are amazing.

The finish is "black titanium" I believe, from woodcraft. Is this still a version of chrome? Will it flake? I have a lot to learn here.
Oooh i don't know anything about back titanium and acidic. All i know is chrome will not last..

Edit: woodcraft description says it has a chrome finish. So it will probably flake if used with anything acidic. But someone else may need to put some input here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts